Skip to main content

material things

For next several days -leading up to Christmas, I will pick some random object around the house and write about how I got it and something that happened around that time. I am trying to keep up with Magma Chronicles and trying to write more often.

I just came back from a trip around the globe. We went to India via London. I have been collecting ornaments from all the places I travel to. They are such happy things to collect.

I picked this one from a gift shop under the Tower of London. I had a whole day of roaming around London with my husband. We hadn't done anything like this since before we had kids. It was a cold day so we decided that we will stop every so often to have a drink somewhere. The first place we stopped was the Pub on Thames - a big ship docked on Thames which served as a bar and a restaurant. I was so cold that I ordered two shots of whiskey. Of course my wise husband thought it was too soon, too fast. It was only 11 am. So we settled on one and a half shots each of Glenmorangie. I was in a city that I always wanted to visit. The light on the river was just right. Air was charged with something happy. I wished my kids were with me. I had only been away for a day, but I missed them so much.

 As we were sipping whiskey I heard a familiar accent from back home. There was a couple from California who happened to share our political views. We vented our frustrations with the current situation and clinked our glasses to wish our country a better future.

Second stop was a kiosk on the river side that was selling hot whiskey and mulled wine.  Later on we had a few glasses of rose and some other wines. We had a truly magical day. I hope this ornament will capture the essence of this day forever. And I can often sit down with a shot of whiskey or a glass of mulled wine and think fondly of that day.






Comments

Meghana Singh said…
Love this idea and beautiful memory!!
Your day in London sounds fun. Beautiful memory to cherish.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...