Skip to main content

A bowl named Joy



It was a hot summer day when +Meghana Singh and I stepped into the pottery class. The building was very old, with narrow staircases. The narrow hallway was lined with the pots and mugs of all sorts and in various stages of existence.


The room where we were to take our class had no air conditioning. There were fans running and windows open. It was a BYOB class, we forgot to bring our B - oh well.

There were six students. The teacher was a young college student with a nose ring that was oh so pretty. She was majoring in ceramics. In an alternate life I might have done that.

The feel of the clay on the hand felt like coming home to something. Like kneading dough for bread, but not quite. We shaped and messed up and reshaped out bowls many times. A slight press of the hand would thin out the wall of the bowl. A little harder press would create an unsightly lip. It was over soon. I wanted to do this all day.


This was a multiple day process. The bowls will dry for two weeks, then we will come back and glaze. Then they will be baked(is that the right term? Fired?) again and then we can finally bring them home.


I had to inscribe how I summed up this experience at the bottom of the bowl.




I meant to go back and do this often. This was 2-3 years ago. I haven't made the time to go back. I do miss it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...