Skip to main content

clay lamp

The year was 1990 - I had been married for a few months. I had taken a break from college. When I got married my aunt said that I should take a few months off and spend it doing nothing. She said it would be the best time of my life. I didn't really believe her. But I did it anyways. My college used to have quarters - and I took off two quarters and spent it traveling around India. 

My husband had just finished his Masters in Civil Engineering - Offshore Engineering to be exact. So he was looking for a job. And I was about a year away from completing my Bachelors in Electronics Engineering. There were about a 1000 people at my wedding. I knew maybe about a 100 of them. We got a lot of cash. Enough to fund our travels and food and shelter for next several months. So that's what we did.

I distinctly remember this evening in New Delhi. We had gone to Sector 8 market to pick up some groceries. As we were walking back, it was dark, maybe around 8pm. I saw this old women sitting by the road side. She had a few clay pots and things around her that she was selling. She was very old. She was talking to herself. I wondered why she has to work at this age. Doesn't she have kids and grandkids who could take care of her. 

I went near her, just to see her from close up. I started looking at various things she was selling. She didn't engage in any conversation or tried selling me anything like other shop keepers did. She seemed to be very busy with some kind of internal dialog she had going in her head. 

I picked up a small clay lamp and had to ask her a few times. She named some small price that converted to something like 10 cents. My heart went out to her. I wanted to tell her that she should charge 10 or 20 times as much. My husband was getting impatient.  I really wanted to stay and get to know her better. I wanted to buy everything off her hands so she could go home and relax. My husband told me to not interfere. He was right. I don't know what her life was. Maybe this shop of clay things was her happy place. I just paid for my clay lamp and walked home.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...