Skip to main content

grandma flower

Those were some very happy years.

I had developed a sister like friend at work. We worked so well with each other, maybe extreme programming was designed after us. Any programming problem thrown at us, we could solve in no time - if left alone. We were inseparable. People used to joke that we are married.

We used to go on walks at lunch time. Sometimes we will pick up hummus and olive tapenade and crusty bread from Trader Joes and have a picnic lunch at our desk. Sometimes we would sneak a glass of wine at lunch and come back all giggly and trying to be serious. Thursday in summers were Farmers market days - and you had to plan to be there early if you wanted the fougasse bread from the baker. He used to always run out by noon. Happy times.

One day she walked in with a small segment of a plant - she put it in a paper cup with water on my desk. This was taken from her grand mother's plant. She loved her grandma more than life itself. Unfortunately, grandma had passed away.

I was so honored that she would share this with me.

I nurtured this plant and it grew under my care. But those were also the years of young kids, and karate lessons, ice skating lessons, flute lessons, guitar lessons, horse riding lessons, theater rehearsals, voice lessons, science projects, debate clubs, book reports, and on and on and on. Our two kids somehow had jam packed 15 activities in a 7 day week. We were always running around.

One day I realized that the plant was almost dead. I wasn't sure how I will ever tell her. I cut out most of the plant, and hoped it would come back somehow. I also promised the plant that if she came back, I will never ignore her again.Call me crazy, but I distinctly remember talking to this plant, willing it to live.


And she listened and gave me a second chance.



She came back with a magenta smile that brightens my holiday season every year.










And I always think of the grandma that I never had a chance to meet. The grandma who was loved dearly by the person that I love dearly,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...