Skip to main content

silver lining

I have a few gray strands peeking through the brown. I color them brown - but I am often lazy about keeping up with it. It is funny how during conversations, some people try to sneak a peak at my gray. I would be saying something and in mid sentence they will break the eye contact and shoot a quick glance at the gray and go back to the eye contact - which is ok. What is really weird is that they keep shooting quick glances. I often feel like saying -yup - that persistent gray is still there :)

Has anyone else noticed this behavior in other people?

Comments

Sylvia K said…
Be glad you haven't turned completely gray over one summer -- believe me that really gets the looks. I kept it colored as long as I was working because I quickly discovered that there is such a thing as age descrimination and for two months I kept getting told I was over qualified. Colored the hair and had a job the next week. Go figure! Isn't getting older the most fun ever?
pink dogwood said…
Yes, I agree that there is age discrimination - someone I know who is 60 and is trying to find a job and having trouble even though he is very qualified.
bindu said…
You should talk about the gray and watch them look embarrassed! You really should. :) The gray strands have started appearing on my head too ... haven't done anything about it yet because they are not that visible yet. But will soon have to make a decision! The things we do ... ;)
I get the same with my facial hair. But then again my chin is usually at most peoples eye level :) So I don't if its one reason or the other.
pink dogwood said…
bindu - I should do that :)

sg : I guess my hair is at most peoples eye level :)
Bobkat said…
Yeah, I think people are always comparing themselves with other people and this is just part of it. I have been noticing more and more grey hairs myself and yeah, other people check them out as well from time to time.
coloredsock said…
i actually love gray hair on women. so many around here have salt and pepper hair or even all gray hair, and whether they are graying young or normally, i think it's beautiful! as far as catching stares, maybe it's because they think it's beautiful/intriguing as well.
pink dogwood said…
bob-kat : yes, maybe that's all there is to it - they are just comparing their gray to mine:)

coloredsock : I like your positive spin on this :)
Sue said…
I go back and forth with my gray. Sometimes I can stand it, then I dye it, then it comes back.

I had the problem with someone's eyes traveling recently when I wore a new blouse -- way lower cut than anything else I own, but still decent! I have never noticed a guys eyes traveling to my chest before I wore that blouse. It was a strange feeling! :)

(I put it in the back of my closet. But I didn't throw it away!)
pink dogwood said…
Sue - funny about the blouse, but don't let a traveling eye prevent you from wearing what you like :)
Lori ann said…
I'm not sure how I got here, but I love your blog!and this post, so funny and true! just your putting it into words, I'm sure everyone has experianced this to some degree. I have had more comments on my choosing to let the gray show than almost anything else about me! so funny! It's so nice to meet you!
xx
Kay said…
lol... yeah, I've noticed that too. and some people announce to me, as if I don't know. 'You have grey hair!!!' lol

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...