Skip to main content

wednesday wars

My daughter has a book club as part of her GT group activities in her sixth grade. They are reading many interesting books. A couple of week ago she loaned me her copy of "Wednesday Wars" by Gary Schmidt.


I put it on my night stand along with other books that she had recently given me to read (A wrinkle in time, Tales of Despereux, etc.) I always have a stack of my - more interesting, grown up - books to read through and can't ever seem to find time to fit in one of these kid literature.

Well, I am so glad that I did. It is set in time when country is at war (Vietnam) and everyone is sick of that war and they looking for someone young with lot of new energy (Kennedy) to bring change to the country - ring a bell anyone?

I would highly recommend this book. Here are some samples from the book:

"Mr. [Principal] Guareschi's long ambition had been to become dictator of a small country. Danny Hupfer said that he had been waiting for the CIA to get rid of Fidel Castro and then send him down to Cuba, which Mr. Guareschi would then rename Guareschiland. Meryl Lee said that he was probably holding out for something in Eastern Europe."



"She then raised her hands and waved them grandly, and we began a medley from `The Sound of Music' - which is the vocal equivalent of eating too much chocolate."


"She put her red pen down. 'Since there are only two of us in the room -- a situation which has become very familiar to us these past months -- and since you were speaking, I assumed that you must be addressing me. What did you say?'
" 'Nothing.'
" 'Mr. Hoodhood, what did you say?'
" 'Strange stuff, the dropsy drown you.'
"Mrs. Baker considered me for a moment. 'Was that what you said?'
" 'Yes.'
" 'A curious line to repeat, especially since the combination never occurs in the play. Are you trying to improve on Shakespeare?'
" 'I like the rhythm of it,' I said.
" 'The rhythm of it.'
" 'Yes.'
Mrs. Baker considered this for a moment. Then she nodded. 'So do I,' she said, and turned back to spreading the red plague.
"That had been close."

Here is what my daughter summarized when she gave this to me : "Mama - at several points in the book you would feel like it should end right here, but it keeps on going, and you are so glad that it did" - great way to put it :)

So check it out from your library and do let me know if you liked it.

Comments

bindu said…
Sounds like an interesting book, and very relevant to the current political atmosphere as well!
Samosas for One said…
I think it is awesome that you're reading along with your daughter. What a great way to spark discussion on new topics.
Preeti Shenoy said…
Thanks for this post!Books sounds really good!Would love my children to read it. I doubt if we will get this in India though.
Cheers
preeti

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...