Skip to main content

Luncheon of the boating party

I am reading a book by Susan Vreeland called Luncheon of the Boating Party. It is a fiction interlaced with facts about how Renoir's famous painting came to be. As I read more and more of the book, the desire to visit the painting got stronger and stronger.

I found out that the painting is in a museum at Washington DC - just couldn't believe my luck. It resides at a private collection called The Phillips Collection. I had never even heard of it. It is in Dupont Circle neighborhood of DC, where my brother used to live before he moved to Australia.







Last Tuesday the schools were closed to observe Rosh Hashannah. Monday night I came home overly stressed from work. So, I decided to take the next day off and asked my brother if he would like to go to the art museum.

So, the four of us - me, my brother and my two daughters - went to The Phillips Collection. What a great find it turned out to be. I found my painting on the second floor and cannot begin to explain how I felt to be in the vicinity of that painting.




There were many other great pieces there - Monet, Van Gogh, Picasso, Degas and many more.

They also had a Jacob Lawrence migration series on display. It was very emotional and powerful display. I absolutely loved all sixty of the panels.


We stopped at Johnny Rockets for lunch and I had a nice, dripping with butter, grilled cheese sandwich.

We stopped by at the Washington National Cathedral to just take some pictures - didn't really have time to go in. It is an architectural beauty.



I had a really great time that day. I felt so lucky to have visited the painting. It feels so good to be around great art. It is almost like I could feel the energy of the great painters from decades ago.

When we got home I asked my daughters what was the highlight of the day - they both chimed in simultaneously -" Johnny Rockets..."

Comments

bindu said…
Sounds like a great outing. What is the book about?
Sue said…
My boys would have said the same thing...
Anonymous said…
the cathedral is an awesome piece. i have been there almost 6 times in a span of 5 months. Never got tired of it and can always be there.
..and du pont circle.. i am always getting it all wrong there.
megha puNAter" said…
what a nice outing,and a good quality time with your daughters.:)
Joanna said…
I love that painting. I love that it is a collection of Renoir's friends. And 'Amelie' (one of my favorite movies) revolves around it.
Sylvia K said…
What a great day! and how wonderful to see such art work, I know exactly how you must have felt. It was the same feeling I had when I was in Paris and Madrid! And I love the National Cathedral. I'm so glad you had a good day -- we all need those now and then. Sorry I didn't get here before, it's been a busy couple of days. Take care.
Blu said…
what a great post really makes me get the feel of your day out. Best wishes from Brittany France

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...