Skip to main content

food

I was just reading the latest post on Plum tree which pointed me to one of her older story and I loved it so much that I had to share it here. It sums up so nicely what has gone wrong - we just eat way more than is good for us. We are surrounded by food all the time - boat loads of it - and it is killing us.

The story also reminded me of how relationship to food and eating has changed for me since moving to US. As a kid, most of the houses I lived in were not kitchen-centric. Kitchen was a small room in a corner of a house, delineated with doors to close it in between the meals. All the cabinets were sparsely furnished . We went in there to cook breakfast, lunches and dinner (ok, we had someone cook those meals for us - but that is besides the point :)) - Once a meal was over ,kitchen was closed and that was that.

Fast forward 20 years - and I find myself living in this house where the kitchen is probably the size of one of my childhood homes. Kitchen with its gigantic refrigerator and overflowing pantry is the center of the house. We do everything surrounded by food - we do homework on the kitchen island - we plan vacations here, write bills here , mommy blogs from her laptop on the kitchen island. When neighborhood friends stop by, we sit huddled on bar stools on this kitchen island drinking ginger tea. When we have gatherings on weekends, there is always a crowd on these same bar stools with margaritas and martinis in their hands. Don't get me wrong - I love my kitchen - that was my requirement for our next house, to have a really big kitchen. But now I am wondering what would it mean if all the food was not in our face all the time?

What do you think?

Comments

Sue said…
I've had a similar thought this weekend, about celebrating. My son made Eagle Scout, and I am planning a party to celebrate. And all my plans are centered on the food I'll be serving. And food is a major topic of all our next holidays coming up -- Halloween is candy, Thanksgiving is gluttonous, and Christmas is cookies and special dinners. I think I need to re-focus!
pink dogwood said…
Sue - I think there is nothing wrong with celebrating with food - all of the Hindu holidays we celebrate have a food theme and I think there is that charm of certain foods being associated with certain holidays. But on a daily basis I wish we weren't in the habit of living in the kitchen :)
Samosas for One said…
Really??? I LOVE the kitchen...and I'm a skinny girl who doesn't eat enough. You know why I love it? Cause my mother is a wonderful cook AND I have the most wonderful memories of waking up on Saturday mornings with the smells of paranthas or halva cooking or the sounds of rye popping in oil or the tea kettle going off.
pink dogwood said…
Samosa - you do paint a lovely picture to wake up to :)
bindu said…
I read Omnivore's Dilemma recently - about our relationship with food, and about how complex it has become. It's an excellent read. One of my earliest posts was about this book, and I'd surely recommend it!
Sylvia K said…
Great post and one we should all listen to. Food is great, but we just tend to over do it.
pink dogwood said…
Bindu - I did read that book and loved it. I liked his recommendation "Eat food, not too much, mainly vegetable" - and his definition of food was something that your great grandmother would recognize as food - that cuts out so much of the kid food these days - gogurt, easy mac :)
pink dogwood said…
thanks sylvia and I agree :)
Samosas for One said…
Can I ask you a weird question?
pink dogwood said…
samosas - sure - email me :)

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...