Skip to main content

When will they come home

I was at the post office earlier today. There was a young girl in front of me with a yellow box with pink and magenta hearts on it - probably a valentines day gift.

Girl: How long will this package take to get to Iraq?
Postal employee: where?
Girl: Iraq
Postal employee: One to two weeks, depending upon where in Iraq.
Girl: I know I should have done this last week.
My heart grew very heavy. When will our people come home?

Comments

Sylvia K said…
Oh, yes, when???? I ask that question everyday.
Lori ann said…
"war is not healthy for children and other living things"
I remember this saying from my highschool days, a looong time ago. Were still saying it.
bless.
bindu said…
It was so irresponsible of the govt (you know which one!) to send young men and women to a war that will be so hard to pull out of. The emotional price is being paid by all the families and loved ones as well.
Deb said…
Sad, frustrating...what a powerful post. In just a few words you depicted the emotions of this situation. I think you should send this to the newspapers, govt officials...so no one forgets.
Bobkat said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Bobkat said…
I actually find this quite heartening in a way. Let me explain and I am not going to even touch on the politics and right and wrong of the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan (which we Brits are also engaged in).

Those young men and women are away doing their jobs and I think it is so nice that they have people at home who support them and love them and send them gifts (even if they do arrive late). That is so important when people are away from home for prolonged periods. So I am heartened that this girl was at the post office with her cheery looking box given the current situation is what it is. It will be very welcome when it gets to its destination :)
Life is Journey said…
Yeah, really true but sad.We as common men can pray to God and wish one day they will come back & meet there families.
Anonymous said…
when i was at the library i saw a pamphlet which read "selective service " .

the obaman government definitely has plans and that is reassuring enough.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...