Skip to main content

I love you mom

I know it is not mother's day - but I wanted to write about how much I appreciate my mom.

My mom does so much for me that it would take me several incarnations to pay her back (if that reincarnation thing actually works :)

I leave for work before my kids even wake up. My mom lives 2 miles down the road. She comes in early in the morning, wakes them up, makes them breakfast and drops them off to school.

Then she cooks something for dinner.

She picks the kids up from school and gives them a snack and waits for me to come home. I usually come home to steaming hot dinner on the table. This is just to name a few - the things that she does for me are countless.

All my friends are envious - they say I am a lazy spoiled brat - No - I am just very lucky. When we were buying a house my number one requirement was that it has to be near enough to mom and dad.

Today I am feeling exceptionally thankful. Today - Monday - always a crazy day at work - too many meetings, nothing getting done as fast as I want to - ended up staying late at work. Mom took the kids to her place so I stopped by there to pick them up. She had a big bag full of food packed for me - all still warm. She has bad arthritis and she recently had cataract surgery. It is hard for her to get around - especially when it gets cold. Whenever she calls me at work to ask what I want for dinner, I always tell her nothing - I just don't want her slaving over stove. I can always throws something quick together. But she says that she gets tired of sitting around and needs to do something.

Today after I picked up the food and kids, I came home and went for a two mile run. As I was running I kept thinking that I can do this only because my mom took care of the kids after school and made dinner for me - otherwise instead of running I will be worrying about dinner right now. After coming home I had the food that she packed for me and it tasted like the best thing I ever had. I felt so good - so content and suddenly my heart was overflowing with love and gratitude. In our family we don't say I love you too much. I mean I say it to my kids, but not to my parents because - I don't know - not part of our culture? Don't know. So if I were to call her right now to say how much I love and appreciate her she would think I am drunk or something. So I will just write here.


My dad is awesome too - but I will save that for another time.

I love my mom :)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Bhavana, give a big hug to your mom on my behalf. Moms are like that only, and we Indians are not demonstrative even then everyone including moms want some appreciation for what they do. Your post took me back to my mom.
pRiyA said…
that's such a touching and beautiful tribute. you are SO fortunate to have a mother's love.
Sylvia K said…
Such a beautiful post and one that all mothers would love to be able to read, to know. But I understand how it is hard to say the things you want to say in person. I have a feeling that your Mom knows how much she is loved and I suspect she loves doing it because it makes her feel happy, good, useful, helpful and believe me, all of those feelings make everything we do worthwhile. Knowing you are loved for many of us is something you simply know inside and it's beautiful. You are both so fortunate to have each other. A beautiful, lovely post and a wonderful tribute to your Mom.
Lori ann said…
I bet Bhavana, that you are the same kind of Mom, what a beautiful lovely family you have. Your words made my heart swell and now I can't stop smiling. I love your Mom.And you too.
xx lori
Val said…
i hope your mum is reading this blog post! she sounds wonderful and i am sure she knows that you do appreciate and love her - but how about a break with tradition??? hugs to you all
rae said…
This is a beautiful post!
Tillybud said…
What would we do without our mums! I loved this post - so heartfelt. Your mum sounds very special indeed.
karen said…
lovely, this brought a wonderful warm glow to my heart! you're so lucky to have your mom there so close to you! :-)
Shalini said…
Yes, Mom's are so special and we really should appreciate them all year long. Beautiful touching post.
~mE said…
:) lovely post bhavna...and stay blessed :)
Sue said…
You are so lucky to have such a wonderful mom! My mom is great too... but she's much too far.

Tell your mom that many people are thinking wonderful things of her!
bindu said…
Did your mother read this? Tell her she is appreciated not just by you, but by all your readers as well! I know what you mean about expressing our love and appreciation - we need to do more of that in our culture ... I think I'll call my mom! :)
pink dogwood said…
Thank you all - I am overwhelmed. I wrote this last night because I was getting too emotional for some reason. This morning when I woke up and was thinking with my head again, I was sort of embarrased about letting my feelings spill over like that - I was going to remove the post and then I saw all of your comments - thank you all :)
Zion Girl said…
You are truely blessed and mothers are definitely our greatest blessing. I love your blog and thank you for sharing.
Bobkat said…
Your mother sounds like a wonderful person. I don't think you're lazy at all as you don't expect her to do all these things. I think it's great that she is so involved in your family. Lucky you! :)
Angela said…
I love your mom, too. And you, for being thankful in your heart. Don`t ever feel embarrassed at showing love. It is the best of all! Bhavana is such a nice name. Glad to meet you.
aMus said…
this was such a beautiful post, coming as it did straight from the heart...i'm so glad you didn't delete it and i do hope your mom reads it ...

have a great day....
Samosas for One said…
Why don't you cook dinner for your two daughters?
Dianne said…
what a lovely post! you're a good kid :)
megha puNAter" said…
such a beautiful post bhavana.
i only really appreciated my mom when i came to live in belgium.no one take a mothers place.
god bless :)
Lisa said…
Wow, your mom is awesome :)

The fact that you appreciate it so much means you are lucky, not spoiled like your jealous friends say!

:)

Nice post!
CrystalChick said…
What a wonderful AWESOME MOM you have!! Lucky girl. You certainly are blessed.
I've been a SAHM mostly because I chose to get married and have children so young. So I didn't attend college or really have the option of even working much because my parents and hubby's parents couldn't help with babysitting.

My Mom died when I was only 30 and my Dad 4 years later. I miss them every day. They would have loved to see their Great-grandson. Well, they probably know him, just from another place I guess.

Wishing you many more good years with your parents.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...