Skip to main content

No Knead Bread

I have been baking most of the bread we consume for the past year and a half. I like to know the feeling of knowing that my bread contains all the ingredients that I can pronounce - organic flour, organic oil, organic egg if needed, turbinado sugar or unfiltered honey, sea salt - I feel very good about.

Last week I wanted a break from my usual whole wheat bread and decided to make this free form bread.


I think almost every one has heard of the no knead bread. Its been in various newspapers and website. I have tried it twice before - it looks like one of those artisan bread. One time my sister was over and thought that I had bought it from Panera Bread :)



This time I followed Jugalbandi's recipe .Of course mine doesn't look as good as theirs - but it tastes' pretty good. Click on the following picture to look at the detail - I love it so much that I want to make it the wallpaper on my desktop :)


I invite others who haven't tried this to at least give it one try - results are amazing. Let me know how yours comes out if you try it.

Comments

Sylvia K said…
That looks fabulous! I haven't done a lot of baking lately, but I used to bake all of the bread, rolls, etc etc for my family. I love the smell of baking bread! Thanks for a fun post! Happy Valentine's Day! Enjoy!
Anonymous said…
i used to bake bread all the time too...not much time left for that now :(
i might have to give this one a go! it looks lovely!
xxsm
bindu said…
It looks yummy ... lazy me is almost tempted to try this. :)
Bobkat said…
Mmmm...that looks so tasty!

I'm going to finally get round to doing the meme you tagged me for. Expect to see in within the next 24 hours or so :)
Sue said…
I don't know how you have time for everything you do! :) You have so much energy!
I can just smell the bread, it's beautiful.
Oh my... that looks great.

I need to try making this.

I need the solidness of bread to heal my heart today. I do. Nothing else will help.
aMus said…
*thud....that was my jaw dropping....

wow! you inspire me..esp when you make time for everything...

if i ever bake bread, i'm gonna come right back and tell you :)
Lori ann said…
Bhavana, your bread looks beautiful. I can almost smell it from here! I think i have the same recipe, its one of my favorites. I'll go check yours out now.
xxx lori
pink dogwood said…
sylvia - thanks
sweetmango - thanks
Bindu - try it - its easy
bobkat - thanks - loved your 6-6 shot
Sue - I don't really do everything - my house is not necessarily always the neatest :)
another Kiran : Hope the bread provides the comfort you are looking for
Suma : try it - seriously, it is very easy
Lori ann: yes - easy recipe with great results :)
Shelly said…
I love the way my house smells while bread is baking...this one looks great!
Zion Girl said…
You are hilarious.........I think it would be most fitting for this piece of "baking art" to be your new desktop wallpaper. Happy Friday
Life is Journey said…
I am having a feel that its really delicious...I will definately try out this one. My hubby is really found of all such stuff.I hope i'll do the job successfully :).
karen said…
wow! sounds amazing, will have to have a try sometime! :-)
aMus said…
okay, could be one of those stupid questions, but do tell me whether
baker's yeast and active yeast and dry yeast are all the same?
pink dogwood said…
Suma - I found a resource here: http://www.foodsubs.com/LeavenYeast.html
aMus said…
hey thanks...that was an intensive list :P...now i better bake!!!!
Val said…
looks delicious! tagged you for a meme on mine :-)
Val said…
looks delicious! tagged you for a meme on mine :-)
Shails said…
Hello there!
You sure do have something going in here!
I read through ALL your blog entries .Enjoyable - your perspective!
Shalini said…
Wow, this looks really nice. I must try it out too. Thanks for the info.
Paula & Skip said…
I love no knead bread and started to add seeds etc just before putting it in the oven. By the way, I learned of it via the youtube video which states the oven shall be blazing hot. It set the fire alarm off......

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...