Skip to main content

Just thinking out loud

My 11 year has been taking violin lessons for 3 years now. But for the past few weeks she has been wanting to quit. I asked her for a good reason, and she gave me many -

  1. Her friend quit (not good enough reason for me)
  2. Her teacher is too strict (I told her she needs to practice more and win her teacher with hard work)
  3. She gets pulled out of art (her favorite subject) to go to Violin class (It is weird how music works in our school system. Instruments are optional part of the curriculum and they don't have a time set aside for it. If you pick to learn an instrument, you get pulled out of some class - social studies, art - whatever)
  4. She doesn't enjoy playing violin anymore.

She is also taking Piano lessons privately and also plays violin in a Rock Orchestra. So if she were to quit, she would still be playing violin with her Rock band. I didn't want her to quit because first of all, lessons are free at school and they cost a lot if you were to take them privately. But the main reason why I don't want her to quit is because she might regret it later. When I was 9 or 10, I quit taking Kathak dance lessons because my best friend wasn't doing it. My mom insisted that I continue since I was very good - but I didn't listen because I wanted to do what my best friend was doing. My mom didn't force me too much. Now I regret it and wish that my mom had forced me to stick with it.

So I am really torn. I mean she has her plate full. She is in 6th grade, but taking 8th grade math, english, science and social studies. She is part of a book club. She volunteers to tutor elementary school kids once a week. She takes ballet lessons twice a week and piano lessons once a week. She takes ice skating lessons once a week. She is also part of an ongoing research project at school. Maybe she has too much going on and needs to cut back?

Maybe I should let her quit?

I think I should let her quit.

Comments

Tillybud said…
That is a tough one. She sounds like a really motivated, go-getting girl. I'm a bit too soft with my kids so I don't think I'm a good one to be giving advice. So I'll just say...been there, know exactly what you mean!!
aMus said…
she's doing a lot...knock on wood...

she does not enjoy it any more...besides like you said, she would still be playing with the rock band...so she's still in touch right?
Sue said…
If your mom had forced you to continue dancing, after you truly wanted to stop, would you think back on dancing fondly or would you have grown to hate it?

I personally think most kids should be allowed to decide for themselves what extracurricular activities they want to do, within reason. They can't choose to stop taking reading or math or whatever, but they can have this choice.
pink dogwood said…
Tillybud - soft is good :) thanks

Suma - you are right.

Sue - I agree - and I would have probably grown to hate it. Her teacher tells me she is good and I hate to see het throw it away. But I guess I will let her make that decision.
bindu said…
That's a tough one. Good luck with making a decision! It can't be easy.
Lori ann said…
I would let her choose. Sounds like you helped her learn how to do that. You are a good Mama.

xx lori
karen said…
I remember aged around 11, wanting to give up a quite expensive activity paid for by my parents.. because I really, really didn't enjoy it anymore!My mom asked me to just try for two more sessions to see if I absolutely, really didn't want to. She felt it would be such a pity to stop, but she left the ultimate decision up to me. I did humour her, and tried a few more, but still hated it and I stopped doing it.. no regrets about it either!

Sounds like your daughter is quite an amazing girl, with all that going on! and 8th grade math - wow!

good luck :-) x
pink dogwood said…
Bindu - thanks

Lori Ann - Thats what I am leaning towards.

Karen - Wow - I said the same thing to her that your mom said - I asked her to give it her best for another month,and if she still hates it then she can quit. But in her own words - "Sorry momma, I don't like it anymore, I can't bear it for even another week."

Thanks all for your help :)
Anonymous said…
Touch wood...
Let her quit.

Thats a lot on her plate.

Its okay if she regrets it when she is 30. She can take it up then.

I took up Ballet in just a few years ago when my 6 year old started ballet at 3 and I just started ice skating last week! heck, as long as I can move one foot behind another without falling on my face,I can learn and enjoy learning.

Sometimes regretting something is really not a bad thing. Keeps the important things in perspective.
pink dogwood said…
anrosh :)

Another Kiran: I guess you are right - I took up karate when my kids were 4 and 6 and did that for 3 years. And then took up running last year - so I guess it is never too late. Thanks for your commments.
Anonymous said…
i know a person who took violin lessons for 4 years theory etc etc, exams. He came back to it after a lapse of so many years (6-7) and he does comparatively well now. he plays in the hindustani classical style and also plays by the ear ( mostly ) he said it is difficult to forget what you have learnt.
pink dogwood said…
Anrosh - thats good to know. I would love to hear her play hindustani style. Right now she only plays the theme song from kabhi khushi kabhi gam on the keyboard :)

My 16 year nephew also plays by the ear. First he self taught himself electric guitar, now he has moved on to Sitar.
Lisa said…
Hello,

I've been following your blog for a bit. I really like it.

I'd suggest since she says she doesn't enjoy it, let her quit. You don't want to push her too hard with it because she may start to not enjoy other things and see them as an obligation too. It may make her despise the violin, when maybe all she needs is a break. Would she be able to pick it up again next year if she misses it? Maybe she'll pick it up again as an adult if she truly wants to. It's never too late.

:)
ArtPropelled said…
Wow, your daughter has such a full plate! I would say quit because she is still playing violin in the band. (or quit something else) She might grow to hate it otherwise. It is a difficult one. Go with your gut feeling.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...