We have been composting for a month now, and it has been going great. I accumulate all the kitchen scraps in a container under the sink and take it over to the bin once every 1 or 2 days. Once we have a good layer of food all around it, we put a layer of grass clippings or dried up leaves from the corners of our backyard. The best thing is that there is no noticeable odor around the compost bin.
I found this website which tells you that stuff that can safely go in the pile. Apparently, human and pet hair is a great nitrogen source for the compost pile. Next time these two get a hair cut, it can go in the compost pile :)

According to the tip of the day from Ideal Bite website, even biodegradable items like food can hang around in garbage dumps for years. Trash is so tightly packed that it doesn't always get the necessary light, oxygen, and or/microorganisms it needs to decompose. Researchers have found (perfectly compostable) 25 year old corncobs and grapes and (easily recyclable) 50-year-old newspapers that are still readable in landfills.
I guess best thing would be to not create the trash in the first place. Like using a reusable bottle instead of going for plastic one. Buy stuff from the farmer's market whenever possible so that you don't have to buy overpackaged vegetables from the supermarket. I have been baking bread since last thanksgiving, so that is the lot of plastic wrappers that I have saved - plus my family gets to eat bread made of all easily pronounceable ingredients :)
I found this website which tells you that stuff that can safely go in the pile. Apparently, human and pet hair is a great nitrogen source for the compost pile. Next time these two get a hair cut, it can go in the compost pile :)
According to the tip of the day from Ideal Bite website, even biodegradable items like food can hang around in garbage dumps for years. Trash is so tightly packed that it doesn't always get the necessary light, oxygen, and or/microorganisms it needs to decompose. Researchers have found (perfectly compostable) 25 year old corncobs and grapes and (easily recyclable) 50-year-old newspapers that are still readable in landfills.
I guess best thing would be to not create the trash in the first place. Like using a reusable bottle instead of going for plastic one. Buy stuff from the farmer's market whenever possible so that you don't have to buy overpackaged vegetables from the supermarket. I have been baking bread since last thanksgiving, so that is the lot of plastic wrappers that I have saved - plus my family gets to eat bread made of all easily pronounceable ingredients :)
Comments