Skip to main content

morning calm

Instead of my usual morning run, I decided to go for a walk this morning.

It was still sort of dark at 5:28 when I left the house. The birds were going wild in the trees. Some of their calls were downright comical. They seemed to be mocking each other. There was a gentle breeze blowing. The flowers in the flower beds all around were at their most vibrant, as if rejuvenated with a great night of sleep. If I had more time I would have gone on forever. At the end of the first mile I was rewarded with a beautiful splash of orange and pink in the eastern sky. I wished I had my camera with me. Why do we always want to capture these beautiful moments? Because we might capture the image, but it is hard to capture the multi dimensional moment.

When I came back to the house I took off my shoes in the driveway and walked barefoot in the dewy grass. This has become my favorite post walk activity. Connecting to earth this way feels so calming. I pulled a few weeds and admired my tomato and pepper plants. I think another harvest of eggplants will be ready for tonight's dinner. Then, I reluctantly went in to wash up and get ready for work.

It was a great start to my day.

Comments

How do we know said…
I agree.. it is... :-) made my day too...
Jagriti said…
hi there...lovely post...and blog...

walking barefoot on the grass is truly an absolute bliss...!
Shelly said…
I'm learning to save some of those moments "just for me"...not having the camera is sometimes a good thing. Last week I was on a hike, surrounded by a giant sky sunset - it was so quiet and so amazing...for a few moments I was wishing for my camera, but then I decided perhaps it was best to savor the experience...and keep it all to myself.
pink dogwood said…
hdwk - thanks

Jagriti - I agree - thanks

Shelly - so true. Sometime we just have to capture these moments in our heart, and then close our eyes and recall and relive them later.
bobbie said…
What a wonderful way to start the day! I know what you mean about the birds. Just lying in bed early in the morning I hear them going a little crazy out there. Love it.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...