Skip to main content

Not cut out for this?

I had to run seven miles in the worst kind of weather last Saturday - very hot and humid and dew point at some unhealthy reading. When we got together at the park at 7am, it was already too warm. But regardless, armed with my water bottle, I set out on our seven mile journey with my two companions.

The first 2 miles didn't really feel all that bad. We stopped at the two mile water stop and I had water and Gatorade. We had done the first mile in 12 minutes and the second in 13 - I was really proud of myself.

After we crossed the third mile, I noticed this tingling feeling in my head. We were doing little intervals of run and walk, strategically trying to run all the downhills and walk all the uphills. Anyways, when my partner asked if I was ready to run again, I told her about the tingling. By that time my whole head was pretty much numb. She said that I had probably lost too much salt and recommended I lick my arm (gross!!! - but I did it anyways because I didn't want to pass out).

Anyways, the tingling came and went as I ran and walked. I loaded up on a lot of Gatorade and when we made it back to the park, I had some pretzels. I was ok after that rest of the day.

I was googling about it and found out that some bodies lose a lot more salt than others. I do get crusted with this white powder all over after a long run in the heat. Also, it will improve as I get better acclimated to running in hot weather. In the mean time, I can carry some salt tablets with me.

I was discussing this with another runner at work when an uninvited well wisher joined in the conversation and said "you are probably not cut out for this?" - and he wasn't kidding either. He told me how unnatural it was to first force my body to lose all the salt and then load up on salt. And how it is not worth it and how I shouldn't do it.

I could not believe it - the nerve of some people - I sarcastically thanked the person for his encouragement and left, but I don't know what his problem is and I don't know when he became an expert on me. He has been dropping such remarks ever since I signed up for this marathon. Anyways.

I declared to myself that I AM cut out for this!!!!!

Anyways, just needed to vent out - feel much better now :)

I have to run 8 miles tomorrow, but luckily it is supposed to rain so it is going to be nice and cool :)



-------------------

Just received this timely encouragement from Robin Sharma in my inbox - it almost sounds like he is talking to me :)

Success Takes Commitment

Posted: 02 Jul 2008 09:09 AM CDT

How did we get to be a world built around a sense of entitlement? So many of us want a great career and a gorgeous life but we're not willing to unleash the creativity/self-discipline and self-sacrifice to get there. I deeply believe that you can have so much of what you dream of having. The question isn't can you get there but are you willing to do what you need to do to arrive that your mountaintop?

Makes me think of an elite athlete, say Michael Jordan. He'd be up at dawn doing his drills and training his body/mind/character to get to remarkable. It's expected that an athlete who wants to win needs to get up early, train, eat superbly and condition their mind. But when it comes to businesspeople, getting up early and devoting ourselves to self-improvement and doing our "drills" doesn't seem as important. I fiercely believe it is. Success doesn't just show up via luck. It's created. By hard work.

There can be no great results without great commitment. I've had the opportunity to work as the private coach to billionaires and top CEOs and wildly successful entrepreneurs. Not one of them was cut from a different cloth than you. Not one of them. They just chose to do different things.

Comments

Shelly said…
Great post. I think it's great for your daughters to see you set the personal goal of running in a marathon. Mr Crabby Pants in the break room probably just needs to exercise, hearing about your training reminds him that he's not taking care of his body like he should be. Just guessing.
delhidreams said…
"winners don't do the different things, they do the same things differently"

who the heck he is to tell u what u can and can't do :)

go for it pink

and yes, pray that it rains a lot in the evenings :)
pink dogwood said…
shelley, Adi : thanks guys - I am a sucker for encouragement :)
coloredsock said…
hey Pink Dogwood, thanks for visiting our new chai site/blog! it's nice to visit your site as well. i think it's awesome you are running, and i think your gut reaction to this person's comments just makes you more sure than ever that you want to continue doing it. i was a runner for years and ran marathons, too, until i had a car accident and tweaked a nerve in my leg. you never know what tomorrow will give you so go for what you love today. :)
pink dogwood said…
colorsock - I just love your chai site :) Thanks for the encouragement, and I totally agree, we should live our dreams today because you never know what tomorrow brings.
Awesome job!!! All the very best!

Very inspiring indeed:-)

Arch

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...