Skip to main content

What would you do?

If you didn't have to work for a living, what would you do?

I posed that question to some of my coworkers at lunch today. One of them jumped right back saying that he will teach tennis full time. But the other two people said that they had never thought about it. They couldn't even come up with an answer. I know that I would probably become a professional student and take courses in art, history, literature, basket weaving, pottery - all kinds of stuff. I will also travel extensively.

Do most people not think about such stuff?

Do most people plan to keep on living as they are living? Well, there is nothing wrong with being content with your life - but then these people are the ones that complain most about commute, Monday mornings, bosses, annoying coworkers and life in general.

Comments

Dianne said…
While I'm grateful for my life as it is, so many people have so little, I love to dream and sometimes even plan for more or different.

If I didn't have to work for a living I would spend most of my time rescuing animals and we would all live on a giant country estate.
Shelly said…
What a great blogger question. It's amazing to me that they never thought about what they would do if they didn't work...wow.
I haven't had a "real" job now for two years, it's fantastic. I've been doing home improvement projects, construction, gardening, cooking, writing. I spent a lot of time with my father before he passed away, and have been able to help my mom while she's adjusting to being a widow.
We bought a run-down piece of property about three hours away, we're calling it our "retirement fund". I'm learning all about construction, solar power, wiring, plumbing...even pouring concrete. I used to love to travel but I don't feel like I "need a vacation" like I used to when I was working like a crazy lady...good thing...since I don't have a paycheck there really isn't a vacation fund any more. ;)
Every day feels like a vacation, even though I'm often filthy dirty and completely exhausted at the end of it.
BTW..the picture you asked about on my blog is of Mt. Baker in Washington state and was taken in my front yard.
pink dogwood said…
Dianne - I am grateful as well, bt never hurts to think of alternatives in case opportunity presents itself.I have never thought about rescuing animals even though I have a lot of compassion for animals. I love the idea of living on a giant country estate - buy a ride on mower and I will come mow your yard :)

Shelly - wow!!! So nice that you are doing what you love. I also stayed home for two years after I had my second daughter, and even though I enjoyed it, there was always that thought that this is temporary and I will have to eventually look for a job. I am not sure if I would like construction, but I would love to run a plant nursery.
Maithri said…
What a beautiful blog.

The quote on the side "I am only one, but still I am one..." Is one of my all time favourites...

I love this question too... I think I would do similar things to what I do now...sing, write, read...

but i'd spend a lot more time in nature...

Theres healing there.

Love and soft light to you, Maithri
Gill said…
I have NO IDEA!
I may go out and help those less fortunate.
But while helping I would want my own needs met (food, shelter), which is rather selfish. So I don't know the answer to this...!

Tough one!
I'll be thinking about it all day now.
xox
pink dogwood said…
Gillian: I don't think it is selfish to want to have your needs met first. I think only once you are well taken care off that you can care properly for others. Like when I am grouchy and hungry, I am not a good company (or mother) - I come home, have a quick snack and a cup of tea - then I am ready to handle kids and make dinner and stuff.
Divya and Chaya said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Divya and Chaya said…
Very true- some people want the cake and eat it too! Some people want money but complain the means associated with making it- they would love to have it all! Well, coming back to your question we would love to work all our life( But not the "JOB")- help the less fortunate and educate people about a safe earth down the line. Afterall, life is not all about making money!!
pink dogwood said…
dee and chai - life is not all about money - but some basic needs must be met. And everyone has their own definition of basic :) I do like what you would do if you didn't have to work for living :)
Hello! This is something that I have thought about. I am with Dianne. I would love to have about 100 acres and work with abused dogs, cats and horse. I would also love to give older animals a loving home for the rest of their lives. Lisa
pink dogwood said…
villas girl : Such a great idea. When my grandparents were in the hospital for extended visits, I uesd to see a lot of elderly people who never got any visitors. When I have more time, I plan on visiting such people, just spending time with them, maybe read them a book or a newspaper. I hope to do that on a regular basis when my kids are older and I have more time. Thanks for stopping by.
Preeti Shenoy said…
I'm that way really fortunate, doing what i really love to do,above all working from home.Cannot think of doing anything else because I am doing really what i want to do.
delhidreams said…
seems we've some things in common
i was thinking the exact question last night and it turned out that i wanted to read and study and write for the rest of my life :)
i thought i'll learn many languages, musical instruments, many subject like archaelogy, history, sociology, education and do so many more things.
and oh yes, i'll travel to unknown or least traveled places of earth with my beloved :)

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...