Skip to main content

best things


image source

What are few of your favorite things?

mine are:
early morning walks
late night walks
walking bare foot on grass
summer nights
full moon lit nights
fall evenings
dogwood blossoms
smell of tomato plant leaves
smell of gardenia flowers
smell of bread baking
singing loudly with my kids (Doe, a deer, a female deer Ray - a drop of golden sunnnn.....)
sound of the wind chimes on my mom's porch

Comments

This comment has been removed by the author.
I have to bring up a passage from Fight Club written by Chuck Palahniuk.

"You have a class of young strong men and women, and they want to give their lives to something. Advertising has these people chasing cars and clothes they don't need. Generations have been working in jobs they hate, just so they can buy what they don't really need.

We have to show these men and women freedom by enslaving them, and show their courage by frightening them."
pink dogwood said…
s.g - that is beautiful - I still have a copy of the Fight Club that you gave me - sitting on my night stand - I guess I will finally read it :) thanks
Rohit Srivastwa said…
Very true, and today the way we are so much involved in the "things" that we tend to forget the "non-thing" best things.

"...smell of tomato plant leaves..."

Never tried but now thinking why I haven't tried it :)
Preeti Shenoy said…
Loved the imagery in all things you love.Loved the writing on the wall too.
As regards mine--its a long long list.
pink dogwood said…
Rohit, I guess we are far removed from our food sources - unless you grow a tomato plant, you wouldn't see a tomato leaf - but I love that smell, I guess because it reminds me of summer. Thanks for stopping by :)

PS: share your list when you have more time:)
Gill said…
What a fabulous list! I love it! I could actually sense all of those things...and they are all great.
Happy weekend!
xo
bobbie said…
How about the feeling of an infant in your arms - or the wriggling of a puppy - or how about the smell and feel of moist soil in your garden - There are so many things that are not things that bring such pleasure.
Green Bean said…
Ahh, the wind chimes. Nice.
Bobkat said…
I love this! It is so true!


One of my favourite things is laughter :)
Samosas for One said…
Gardenias remind me of my Nani's garden in India! One of my favorite things is a good cup of chai made from scratch with elaichi. Yum

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...