Skip to main content

Poem in your pocket

I was just reading Bobbie's blog and was reminded that todays is poem in your pocket day. Here is a poem that I read, and reread now a days as my babies are turning into preteens :)

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

Comments

Sue said…
I love that poem. I printed it out and will carry a copy in my pocket for the rest of the day! I actually might keep a copy in my pocket from now on -- it especially means something as the children get older!
pink dogwood said…
Always nice to meet fellow travelers who love this poem as much as I do :) I also have a copy of this in a mini journal that I carry in my bag :)
Punam said…
That is plain truth you've stated in the poem... something parents need to come to terms with.
When they set the kids free, only then, they can know how high the kids can soar... against the winds of life's suffering.

But I think a parent's biggest fear is about the path their child would choose in life... that of moral values or weak character. Parents can only influence their thinking as far as instilling values in them. The decision is solely in the kids' hands... as you've rightly pointed out:
"You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow"
aMus said…
i love this poem too...
this is a message most parents must understand...
Preeti Shenoy said…
This is one of my fav verses too.In fact have quoted it in one of my articles.
Sunny said…
Great site....
I have some articles on the slave trade in the uk......
If you care to view.....
It is on : http://www.xanga.com/freye

For some reason I can't access THIS Blog @ my library...
where @ the moment I HAVE to use computer....
For more up to date info on me please go to...

http://colourmelove-sunny.blogspot.com

Where hopefully you can view..
also where comments can be left....
Keep smiling
Freye(sunny)
Great SITE
Bharti said…
I love this poem. I read this before I had kids I think. It does seem to take on a different meaning post motherhood.
Thanks for visiting me today. Your blog is lovely...a lot of what I'm reading is what my mind thinks too. Lovely to meet you.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...