Skip to main content

not buying it

I have decided to participate in buy nothing for a month challenge - lets see how it goes :)

Buy Nothing Challenge - April 2008


Also, take this quiz here and win a free tote.

Comments

Outside of food & booze, I haven't bought anything since October. But that's more because I'm broke :)
pink dogwood said…
My biggest problem is buying online and the funniest thing is that it doesn't even feel like buying since I have the credit card stored on most sites. I almost bought something on amazon today, and then I remembered.
I guess this should instill some discipline in me :)
Preeti Shenoy said…
hey--what a lovely challenge!!I'm in it too! Thanks for the link.
Shelly said…
Ten years ago I set some financial goals, consequently I began to dilike shopping. The interesting thing is what effect this has had on some of my friendships. They shop for sport and I make a list and only buy something if it's an absolute necessity. This will be easy for me. Thanks for the links, sometimes I feel pretty alone in my non-consumer ways.
Shelly said…
Awww heck...I meant dislike..sorry for the typo.
pink dogwood said…
Shelly - I understand exactly what you mean. When you have discipline and don't want to buy just for the sake of buying, people accuse you of being 'too frugal' and for 'ruining it for them'.

PS - lets see how we fare end of April :)
aMus said…
i think this is very interesting...

will do it once i return from my india trip...but do it, i must...

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...