Skip to main content

Running


I am not a runner by any stretch - I do the run walk thing. I have walked one half marathon, run -walked another half marathon, and run-walked a few 10Ks.


Why do I run?


  • If I run, I don't need to take my hypertension medicine - my blood pressure stays low.

  • If I run, I am in a cheerful mood all the time and stuff like sink full of dishes and the laundry that is not put away doesn't bother me as much.

  • If I run, I am a better mom to my kids.

  • If I run, my kids and my husband become more active without me having to say anything.

  • If I run, my body shrinks even if I don't lose much weight.

That's fine - but I could just run a few miles several times a week - why do I need to run half marathons?



  • Because a lot of people I know think that I cannot do it - and one of the greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do :)

  • Because the idea of doing something that majority doesn't do appeals to me.

  • Because the great feeling of crossing the finish line at 13.1 mile is beyond explanation.

  • Because when I come home after running 10-12 miles on saturdays, my husband pampers me and makes me the greatest eggs for breakfast.

  • Because I can raise money for a good cause.

So, that is why I have signed up for the Baltimore half marathon. The race date is October 16th. I am also raising money for Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - check out my fund raising page here.

Comments

Sylvia K said…
That's terrific!! And what a great example you are setting for your family and friends! You go, Girl! Have terrific weekend!

Sylvia
Dianne said…
you look fabulous in your running outfit!!
good luck on the marathon
pink dogwood said…
Thanks Sylvia :)
Thank you Dianne :)
Anonymous said…
I love that you do this for yourself! Really wonderful :)
Have a great run for a good cause <3
xxm
Lori ann said…
Lovely post Bhavana, well done on the run/walk. You are inspiring. ☺
Brian Miller said…
nice. you are setting a great example to everyone...those are healthy reasons to run...and to do marathons...wishing you the best!
Bobkat said…
'Because a lot of people I know think that I cannot do it - and one of the greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do' Totally agree and well done you for proving them wrong! Good luck with the next half marathon :)
karen said…
wow! well done.. I have to catch up on your new orange and cheerful looking blog.. been away too long!! :)
Paula said…
leading by example.
ArtPropelled said…
I enjoyed that thank you. Definitely going to walk/run more often!

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...