Skip to main content

Limericks

It all started here - Jinksy got all kinds of people writing all kinds of limericks and they were ringing in my head as I was cooking dinner. So I asked my daughters to also write a limerick. One of them complied and here is our limerical conversation:

Meghana:
Many think I am crazy
I am often called lazy
But I know who I am
Possibly as sweet as a lamb
Or as pretty as a daisy
Me:

Daisies are really pretty
And so is your little ditty
Lambs not sweet me think
They often times stink
Maybe sweet as a little kitty

Meghana:

What you said is rather odd
At least lamb don't smell as bad as cod
I believe this is all quite weird
Like the idea of my dog having a beard
And changing their name to Todd

Me:

It's not odd it's very creative
I know a Todd who is a native
he is a bit weird
And does not have a beard
But likes to experiment with laxatives


Meghana:
Well my father has a terrible temper
Whenever I wear a sweater
All because it's only summer
I think that's quite a bummer
That they can't be worn in this great weather

Me:
Don't worry it's gonna be winter soon
And no more of this summer moon
Frigid air will be here
Then you can put on your layers
Even when it is high noon

Meghana:

Yes it is rather sad
And makes me feel rather bad
Having the sunshine hiding away
And frozen waters at the bay
None of which is really rad


Me:
Oh please do not despair
And get funky knots in your hair
Summers follow winters
My deck has no splinters
Just a lonely and grouchy bear

Meghana:
I'm playing fetch with my dogs using corn
Waiting for the day god was born
Hoping with all my might to see
Presents beneath the Christmas tree
When sweaters ought to be worn



So go on - try your hand at a few and do share with me :)

Comments

Sylvia K said…
You two have such fun! And you're so clever and creative! I love all of your limericks! Look forward to more! Thanks for the smiles and chuckles tonight!

Sylvia
Jinksy said…
I'm glad you both enjoyed a bit of banter! But if you are really interested in this particular poetic form, may I suggest you you have a read HERE or possibly HERE for some prime examples. Have fun!
pink dogwood said…
Thanks Sylvia.

Jinksy : yes we probably broke all kinds of 'true form' rules - but this was done over the span of 5-10 minutes as we were cleaning up after dinner. But we both had fun. Thank you for the two links, I will look through those and try my hand at it again :)
What fun! You are so lucky to have a daughter who still shares rhynes with you.
karen said…
What fun!! Great to spend some time together being creative over the kitchen clearing :)
Dianne said…
you two are brilliant
made me smile and smile some more
Tillybud said…
That's a lovely idea and so clever
Making limericks while working together
It passes the time just talking in rhyme
What a funny and worthy endeavour!
This was so much fun to read! Great job by your daughter too!
This is my first visit here and I'm really enjoying your blog!
Best,
gabriele
My Dream Canvas said…
Your limericks are so lovely. I stumbled upon your blog thru Indian Summer. Would love for you to drop by My Dream Canvas.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...