Skip to main content

Summer reading


Sometimes when a book ends you hear yourself say - "No, wait, please don't stop yet - I want to know more."

I think we have all been there -a plot that is like a good dream that you don't want to wake up from. A book where you fall in love with the characters and the line between fiction and reality is blurred and you find yourself wanting to know what happened to them. You want to wish these characters well and want to continue to be part of their lives.

Well, I recently read three such books. I am not going to provide a review as there are lots of reviews online by people who write much better than I do. But do add these to your reading list if you haven't already read them:

  1. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout
  2. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
  3. The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Comments

Priya Sebastian said…
I just finished reading the second book and loved it! Thanks for the other recommendations.

Do visit clubookbabes.blogspot.com sometime ;)
Lori ann said…
thank you bhavana for the recommendations, i will definitly find these at our library.
I hope your enjoying your summer?
♥ lori
Read the second one, impressive. I shall keep the others on my radar.
Dianne said…
thanks for the recommendations :)

I love when I become invested in the characters
Val said…
oh i know exactly what you mean! and i loved Water for Elephants that you recommended before. Thanks for these - always good to know - even if its winter here :-)
karen said…
Thanks for the recommendations! There are so many out there, that I really enjoy getting tips from bloggers... my idea of a good summer - having lots of good books to read! :)
Snowbrush said…
Peggy, my wife, only reads one book at a time, and nearly always finishes it whether she likes it a lot or not. I often read up to six at a time, and skip the portions that don't interest me. As you might imagine, I mostly read non-fiction whereas she reads fiction.
I've come across he Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society a few times now, but have yet to read it. Maybe I should!
~mE said…
I loved loved Help..:) Thanks for the recco :)

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...