Skip to main content

one fine day


I crumble clumps of dirt that have hardened over winter. Dark dirt slides through my fingers. I have dreamt of this day all winter long - the day of getting the garden patch ready for planting. I spot the oregano peeking out in the corner where it faithfully comes back every year. I smile at it and feel warm inside. The berry bushes are loaded with buds again. The strawberry patch promises a good harvest.

The tomato and pepper seedlings that I had started in March have been patiently waiting on the side. They have a look on their face of a child waiting to dive into the pool on a hot summer day. If these plant could move, they too would dive into this dirt giggling. I have watched them grow from tiny seeds all winter long in my sunny window. Now it is time for them to move on.

I have been digging for a while and sun is warming my back. A glass of lemonade would be nice right about now. The sweat running down my back feels good. I have waited so long for this.

Oh sorry - I was just day dreaming of a day in May, past frost warning, when I would be planting my garden one Saturday morning. They are calling for more snow tonight and I have decided to day dream through this winter.

Comments

Sylvia K said…
Oh, no! Not more snow! As I was reading, I was thinking, oh good! the worst is over!! Guess not! I do so wish I could send you some of our sunshine that we've had the past few days. It's gray and grim again tonight, but nothing like where you are! Well, I do hold good thoughts for you and hope you have a great weekend! And may the snow vanish quickly!

Sylvia
A home far away said…
Soon very soon, springtime is coming!

Hugs Gunilla in Singapore
i am glad i am not the only one who doesn't want to leave them behind...

i went to new england a couple of years ago and cried for 14 days...missed buddy :-(

you know how it is too...

glad to see you at Farmhouse, my friend
kary and buddy
Anonymous said…
i almost believed this till i read the last sentence
Nishant said…
It's gray and grim again tonight, but nothing like where you are! Well,
data entry work from home

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...