Skip to main content

vocabulary

Recently I have been writing about my kids a lot - what can I say, they are my world :)

My 10 year old is always trying to incorporate her latest vocabulary words into her conversations. I remember from a couple of years ago, her attempts at incorporating some weekly words - "I feel tranquil after a bath" or "what's the weather like tomorrow? Are we expecting precipitation?"

Last week one of the words was "innate" and she knew the meaning of the word, but was struggling with how to use the word. We were talking about certain medical condition one time and I told her that people are born with that problem - so she says - "thats an innate problem" - I told her no the word doesn't work in this condition. A couple of days ago were watching American Idol and one of the judges exclaimed that this girl sang so well that it was gift from God - it cannot be taught. My daughter looks at me with a sparkle in her eyes and says "innate" - I say "yes!!!" - she was thrilled with herself to have finally figured that out :)

Comments

aMus said…
i LOVE it when the kids incorporate newly learnt words into daily usage..and the 'are we expecting precipitation' was too cute...


i notice you are reading the hindi bindi club! did u like it? done a bit of cooking from there? :)
ArtPropelled said…
I can actually see the sparkle in her eyes when she put the word into the right context.Lovely story.
Val said…
clever girl! is that 'inate?' i have been enhjoying your blog so much despite not always commenting. love hearing about your kids too :-)
pink dogwood said…
Suma - just started reading the book - not sure if I like it much so far - 4 mothers, 4 daughters - a knock off of Joy luck club? which was 100 times better. But - maybe it will get better. HAven't gotten to any recipes yet, so very early on in the book.

Robyn - thanks

Val - same here - not always commenting, but loving your blog :)
Val said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tillybud said…
Clever girl! And it's just so cute to hear them trying the words out for size isn't it.
Anonymous said…
to your 10 year old vocab loving daughter : We had a clear sky, but we still had precipitation, but it was on a lower side." :)

And seems like you have the innate ability to love languages :)
karen said…
Lovely story! Isn't it great when you can see the children putting the pieces together in their minds? Thanks for sharing your stories x
Lori ann said…
I don't know how I missed this post, It's wonderful you write these stories down, they are so special to remember.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...