Skip to main content

A Guide to the Birds of East Africa


If you like the simplicity of Alexander McCall Smith's Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series, then you will like A Guide to the Birds of East Africa you by Nicholas Drayson. It is not really a guide, but a novel and makes for an interesting read.

I picked up the book at the library because Africa has been on my mind lately because of some wonderful bloggers that I have met from there recently. Also the cover of the book made me think of Lori's artwork that she wrote about recently. Here is a review that summarizes it nicely and here is an interview with the author.

And here is an excerpt to give you a taste of the writing:

Is it an endearing quirk among European explorer to imagine that every geographical feature they clap eyes on for the first time is in need of a new name, or is it just a plain silly one? As far as I understand it, humans have been knocking around this part of Africa for - give or take a birthday candle - three million years. The existence of a large wet patch smack in the middle of them had not gone unnoticed. How large? Bigger than lake Michigan, bigger than Tasmania, bigger than Connecticut, Massachusetts, Vermont and Rhode Island all rolled into one. It is so big that people on one side gave it one name, people on the other side gave it another and people in between gave it several more. But that didn't matter to Dr Livingstone. Along he came and he didn't ask the locals what they called this large lake at the top end of the Nile. He gave it yet another name, in honour of the elder of a tribe of white people on a small island five thousand miles away. Endearing, or silly? I really can't decide.

Comments

Deb said…
Hi ~ I am happy that you are back - I was getting worried! I will add this to my 'must read' list. The pile of books next to my side of the bed is getting really tall! I can't read fast enough. I am just about to start 'Lost Nation' by Jeffrey Lent. I will let you know what I think. Take care.
karen said…
Hi! welcome back - I enjoyed reading about the book & author! The cover immediately made me think of Lori, too! Will have a look for it, sounds like a fun read! (Since starting blogging, my book wishlist is getting pretty enormous!!) :-)
Sylvia K said…
Welcome back indeed! Have missed you! Thanks for the book info! I'll check it out at the library this week. Looks interesting!
Angela said…
Thanks for the book recommendation. Yes, good thought - I wonder how I would feel if someone called our Lake "Gothensee" after some Queen in far-away India, and got away with it.
If we had known the internet then, and had all been blogging, maybe many of our haughtyness and misunderstandings could have been avoided??
Lori ann said…
Dear Bhavana, gosh, thanks for showing us this book, and for the review. Thank you also for referencing my small project, I will have to buy this book now!
xx lori
bindu said…
Haven't read this one before. Will look for it!
Tillybud said…
Thanks for the book tip - always appreciated. Love the ocver of this book and I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover but some just ask to be read don't they?!

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...