Skip to main content

pondering population growth

As we were driving to the ballet class for my 12 year old, we passed a lot where trees were cut to make room for some kind of construction. Here is how our conversation went:

me: Oh, they cleared this lot
her: More trees cut - it bothers me
me: Well, we need places to live
her: The problem is that we are multiplying too fast
me: Maybe I shouldn't have had you?
her: No, I like that part mama


We both smiled and moved on to discuss some other pressing problem our world might be facing :)

Comments

bindu said…
It's great she's thinking deeper though. Population should only expand within set boundaries or we will lose nature altogether.
Sylvia K said…
She is a deep thinker for her age. Your post reminded me of when my girls were taking ballet and we use to have similar conversations on the way to and from. There have been several posts today where people are looking back -- maybe it's the current times, almost anything looks better than right now!! Hope you're having a great week!
Deb said…
Hi ~ I miss the impromptu conversations I had when my kids were younger and lived at home. Treasure these times.
Lori ann said…
Thank you for sharing this, these are the moments to treasure.
Samosas for One said…
I wonder why your site says I haven't updated my blog in 2 weeks?
karen said…
It reminds me so much of the "car chat" with the boys when they were little, and it was just the 3 of us, or even just me and one or the other of them. Always precious moments which make me smile..
Tillybud said…
Putting the world to rights - I like it.
Samosas for One said…
I saw your comment. My mom makes really good chocolate burfi. I'll send you some for Diwali this year! :)
Samosas for One said…
I think you, me and Soul Aperture should all display pictures of our furry family members since they all sort of look alike.
Angela said…
Yes, the earth is getting populated more and more. But if each child were loved like yours and ours, the world would still be right!

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...