Skip to main content

our economy

I never realized how the talk of our economy not doing so great effects our kids. My younger one (10 year) keeps asking me if we are doing ok and I reassure her that we are. She asked me if we were rich? I told her that we have enough to have a comfortable life.

Recently both the parents of her best friend have lost their jobs and she is really worried about the family. Last Sunday we were at the mall and we all had fun throwing pennies in the fountain as we made a wish. All the pennies are collected for a charity so it is fun and for a good cause.

Anyways, we were talking last evening as we went for a walk. She says "Mom - do you know what I wished for when I dropped the penny in the wishing well. "What", I asked. She says "I wished for the economy to get better". I was speechless. A little girl wasting her dear little wish to fix a problem of grown ups? It made me a bit sad - well more than a bit sad. She shouldn't have to worry about stuff like that. But if her friend's family has to move with the grand parents, out of our school district, then they wouldn't be going to the same school. Then the economy has impacted my little girl's life.

Comments

Bobkat said…
Such a big issue impacts on all our lives I'm afraid. I was a lot like your daughter as a child and would worry about big things that I couldn't control. I think that is why I worried.
Samosas for One said…
Good you are thinking about this.
bindu said…
Every generation inherits the mistakes and successes of the previous one. My niece who is about your daughter's age was apparently in tears at bed time one day because she was afraid global warming will ruin her life once she is grown up (they were talking about it in school that day). She asked why it had to happen in their generation ..
Lori ann said…
I agree, it isn't right for a child to have to worry.
pink dogwood said…
Bob-kat : yes she does worry about all sorts of stuff. Like she didn't sleep well for weeks when she found out that the world might end on December 12, 2012. She was mostly worried about Buddy and Lucky (our dogs) dying. I somehow managed to convince her that it is a hoax, though I don't know it myself.

samosas : :)

Bindu - she was resisting baths for several days because she learned in school that very small percent of water on earth is drinkable. She is the worrying kind. My older one never worries about anything. I guess the younger one does enough worrying for the whole family. she also worries about global warming and polar bears.

lori ann: I guess, mother's instinct to protect her little ones from all things/thoughts unpleasant. But maybe it is good to be aware of these things.
aMus said…
awww... a big hug for her...

it feels bad that lil minds are troubled by things which they shouldn't be..but then indirectly it has affected her :(
Shalini said…
So interesting to see how young kids are more aware of the economy and the world than we were at that age!

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...