Skip to main content

my nana's village

I was reading Arduous's blog and it made me think of the last time I visited my grandfather's village - I was 11 at the time.

My grandfather's house was on a hill and the road sloped down from there for at least a mile or more to the Chambal river. There were three bedrooms and a kitchen and an open courtyard. There was a bathroom, but no running water. There was a deep well behind the house with the best tasting water ever. The only way to get water was to get it from the well. My grandmother had huge vessels in the courtyard and once a day cousins from the extended family who lived in the house behind ours would help fill all of them with the water. First you would tie a strong rope to a bucket, then you would lower it some 70-80 feet. Once the bucket was full, the cousins would run upto a point away from the well and loop the end of the rope on the peg. Then run back to the well and pour the water into another bucket and carry it to the house. Needless to say water was a precious commodity and not to be wasted. That was the water we used to drink, bathe, cook, wash dishes and clothes. That was the water we had to make last for the next 24 hours until someone would go through this whole ritual and fill all of our vessels again.

Most days we used to walk down to the river to bathe and wash our clothes. We were there during summer vacation and even though there was no electricity, we never seemed to mind it. My grandfather had a large room built on the roof terrace with lots of windows - we used to call it 'hawa mahal' - a palace of the breezes, and it was our favorite place to hang out. At night cool breeze from the river would come through the windows and lull us to sleep.

I have the fondest memories of that place. I haven't been back there since I was 11. Both of my grandparents have passed away since, but the house still stands there, waiting for I don't know what. I often long to go back to that place. But I think what made it most special was my grandparents and I would have to just make do with my memories.

Comments

Deb said…
Can't really type - my eyes are teary. Obviously written from your heart, which makes it even more powerful. I hope you can take your daughters there someday and you all get to sleep at the palace of the breezes. Thanks for sharing this memory with us.
Sylvia K said…
What a beautiful story and I, too, am having a problem with the tears. One can feel your own emotion and that makes it even more moving. And like Deb, I hope you get to go back there and sleep at the palace of breezes. Oh, yes, thank you for sharing such a lovely piece of your life.
pink dogwood said…
Thanks Deb and Sylvia - I was very close to my maternal grandparents - my grandmother was my best friend. Sometimes I miss them so much that it hurts.
Sue said…
I know exactly what you mean, I feel that way about my own grandmothers. It's amazing how strongly you can long for a place of your childhood. This is a beautiful post.
Dianne said…
'a palace of breezes' - that's beautiful!

what wonderful memories. I love how the cousins all worked together.

Your grandparents sound like they were very special people.
bindu said…
This transported me back to another place and time ... your post vividly captured the simplicity and peace! I hope you get to go back there some time.
Preeti Shenoy said…
You MUST go there with your children. Its so important making that trip.

I have very similar memories. My children were fascinated. it meant so much to them and to me to be able to share and pass on those magical moments.
Cheers
Preeti
Samosas for One said…
I wish so very much I could go back to Kenya with my mother to hear about her childhood, but it is not safe there now. So if you can take your kids and share with them. Capture it on video. Something, anything.
Beautiful post - I love the way you write; I wish I knew how to express myself so well..:)
pink dogwood said…
Sue : Thanks - it is funny that our childhood is such a brief span of time, but the habits and memories made there shape rest of our lives.

Diane : thanks - they were very special.

Bindu: I hope to do so someday.

PS: yes, I will.

Samosas: I hope you get to visit it someday - would love to hear about it.

Here,There : thanks for the complement :)

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...