Skip to main content

C. W.

Towards the end of last spring we bought a pink dogwood tree. It had the most beautiful flowers. It sat proudly in its container spreading the magic of its pink beauty. My husband and I could not agree upon a place to plant it. Our house sits on a small lot and I have already planted two plum, one peach, and one Asian pear tree.

I think we sort of forgot about it and one day I noticed that its leaves were curling and turning brown. I remember its name being Cherokee warrior and I felt guilty of not paying respect to this warrior.

Yesterday, we all decided upon a spot near my vegetable garden and dug for what felt like hours. The ground is very rocky and we kept hitting little rocks. It took for ever.

I told Meghana that the tree was called Cherokee Warrior and she immediately nick named the tree C.W.

Once we planted the tree and looked closely at the attached label, we found out that its real name was Cherokee Brave - oh well, Meghana still wants to call it C.W. and by then it started to look and feel like a C.W.

I silently apologized to C.W. for ignoring it through the heat of the summer and willed it to live. We made plans to put a bench under it once it has enough shade to cover a bench. Meghana and I could just imagine ourselves sitting under its shade on our bench reading a book.

I hope it lives and I can post about its beautiful flowers. I think they will look something like this.

Please pray for our C.W. to live.

Comments

Samosas for One said…
Wow so you aren't just Pink Dogwood, but you actually have a Pink Dogwood.
pink dogwood said…
yes, I hope I can have it for a while :)
Deb said…
I wondered if you had a pink dogwood and now I know!I have done the same thing before - bought a plant at the nursery and then never get around to planting it and then feel guilty! I will say a prayer for the Brave Cherokee Warrior!
yellowmonkey3 said…
Mom, YOu forgot one important detail. Who was doing all the work
? Dad was digging, Dia was laying on the couch inside and didn't come until we wanted or You wanted "Ice Cream" and you were supervising and dug a little bit and I got the dirt out of the hole, dug, and I put soil around the tree while you were eating ice cream. When I finally stopped and took the ice cream that was about to melt I took a bite and said to Cw a great tree to be


P.S> How come you made a 11 year old and daddy do all the work??????

~Meghana
megha puNAter" said…
bhavana thats a beautiful post.i will put in a prayer for you.the flowers are beautiful.all the best.
pink dogwood said…
deb: I guess we have all been guilty. I feel bad when I forget to feed my indoor plants sometimes and they are all droopy. I water them and they become happy and upright again - and I feel guilty, like I forgot to feed my kids or something.

yellowmonkey - I was the landscape engineer - I was telling you guys what to do :) And CW is going to be a great tree.

Megha - thanks so much.
Meena said…
How sweet ! Yes, I felt pretty bad when I had to remove the cucumber plant from my veggie garden as for some reason the cucumbers were very bitter. So, hopefully ur dogwood tree survives. All the lovely fruit trees and soon a bench...sigh...sounds idyllic.
Samosas for One said…
I thought your daughter's comment was hilarious!
pink dogwood said…
yeas she is a trip :)
Jagriti said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jagriti said…
hey i saw the pink dogwood for the first time today throught he link u had in ur post...i loved it..! i soo wish that ur plant gets loaded with those pink beauties...

its a wonderfully satisfying joy to see a plant flourish..
Bobkat said…
I hope it lives too. It sounds like it will be a gorgeous tree :)
pink dogwood said…
jagriti, bob-kat - thanks

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...