Skip to main content

Morning walk

When I got up at 5 this morning I could still feel Saturday's run in my right knee and left shin. so I decided to go for a walk instead. It is so dark at 5:30 these days. I had the moon beaming at me as I left the house. It seemed to be smiling and saying 'its about time you showed up'.

The air had just the right amount of chill to awaken my senses. I looked around for my morning companions. The bunny that I usually see was no where in sight and apparently the fox had decided to sleep in as well. I have noticed that even the birds wake up a little later now. I guess they follow the nature's alarm clock and wake up at dawn, whenever that happens to be. I wonder if we should also follow the dawn to dusk cycle of the seasons rather than the artificial dawn to dusk created by our artificial environment. I wonder what my manager would say if I told him that I am cutting my workday to 5 hours in winter :)

The walk did me good. My tensed up muscles relaxed. The cool morning air refreshed me. I was ready to take on the day.

Nice calm start to the week. Hopefully I can carry the calm with me till the end of the week :) Breathe in for two steps, breathe out for two steps, breathe in......

Comments

Samosas for One said…
Your post sounds so peaceful. I was imagining the calm of nature around you. There is something that feels sacred about early mornings.

Did you hear anything about the family in Maryland?
pink dogwood said…
Nothing so far. I couldn't get hold of one of my friends who lives near the temple and is actively involved.
Samosas for One said…
Ok. Let me know if you do hear something and I can do something to help.
Deb said…
Good for you - getting up that early to walk. As soon as I finish typing this - I AM going to put on my sneakers and I am going walking! I also have been meaning to get back to you - you asked me about the book you saw I was reading on my blog - 'The Last Lecture' by Randy Pausch. I would recommend it - especially if you know the history of the book. It is a fast read - but a strong message of inspiration which has caused me to reflect about life - and how I am living my life. And any book that can cause one to make positive change is a powerful book! Happy walking/running!
pink dogwood said…
Deb, hope you enjoyed your walk. I saw a segment about Randy Paush on you tube and was amazed by his spirit. I will get the book and read it soon. thanks

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...