Skip to main content

we are composting!!!!

My dear husband spent a great part of father's day sunday trying to 'install' the compost bin. Of course, we could have just dumped it in any old corner, but he believes in doing things right. He leveled the ground and made a base for it. Once he installed the bin on top, he put a layer of dried leaves from corners of our backyard , and voila... we are composting.



Yesterday, when my dad came over he had a bag in his hand. They usually bring me something or other to eat and I always look forward to that. Imagine my surprise when I opened the bag and found his kitchen scraps in it, egg shells and all :)

We got the compost bin for free from the Bureau of Environmental Services. I am really excited about harvesting the rich compost next year.

Other than that, I harvested my first crop from my kitchen garden. Don't they look adorable?

I pan fried the eggplant and the pepper right away with some olive oil and lemon pepper. It tasted sooooo good. I kept repeating to my husband - have you ever had something to eat that was picked 5 minutes ago? I wish we could always eat like that. Well, I am looking forward to eating a lot more like this at least till fall.

Here is the picture of the bread that I made today - a white bread with raw organic sugar which gives it a light brown hue - tastes amazing toasted with butter.

Comments

ruchi said…
That bread looks awesome!
Joanna said…
Well done!!! I can't tell from your photos (its the size of my screen not your photo quality) if that is concrete under your bin but at least some of your compost should rest on bare earth to let all the wormy critters in to work your food into lovely brown stuff! We made the mistake of putting a paving slab under ours in the name of 'looks much better this way' and ended up with mostly slime after a year. Took it away and our compost is lovely now.
Good luck!
pink dogwood said…
thank Arduous :)

Joanna - yes we did put paving slabs to give it a neater look, but thanks for letting me know. It is early enough that we can easily remove them - I think - will have to find a volunteer (aka husband) to work through the rotting kitchen scraps :)
Shelly said…
Lol. I was going to ask you to do the same thing Joanna did, let the compost rest on bare earth. It gives the worms more room! More worms = better compost, they will even stir the compost a bit for you. Glad to hear the whole family is involved, that is so cute that your dad brought over kitchen scraps. Happy composting!
Divya and Chaya said…
Hi pinkwood-- sorry to have lost touch for the last few months-- boards, changing apts and a new job took all our time. It was very sweet of you to ask us to start blogging again-- we are so overwhelmed by your love that we are dedicating our next post to you(:-). Thank you very much for setting an example to everyone towards being responsible to our environment-- we promise you that we will be doing our bit too, if possible invest in a compost bin when we buy our house soon. We will link this post of yours to our blog with a hope that this thought will get across to more people. Have a great week!

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...