Skip to main content

Afraid of nature?

I signed up for Green Beans bookworm challenge and am in the middle of reading 'Last Child in the Woods' by Richard Louv. Couldn't really finish the book yet, but the first half has provided me with plenty of food for thoughts. The book says how the outdoors are out and indoors are in and how we might possibly be scared of nature. Scared of nature? Not me - I love nature :)


Well, couple of weeks ago my daughter asked me join her on a nature hike to see her favorite spot in the whole wide world. Our house backs to a lot of land that is owned by BG&E. The back yard slopes down and there is a small creek at the bottom. It gently slopes back up into a valley that ends far away at the edge of I-95. All in all, quiet pretty.



Well, my daughters and one of her friends have been disappearing into this vast expanse of land :). They usually avoid playing outdoors, but they love going to the creek. They usually take a couple of my tomato stakes, and set out on this hike. It is not possible to climb down from our side of the back yard, so you have to sort of go into the neighbor's back yard, two neighbors away, to find a slope gentle enough to be climbed down. A lot of this area is under 'forest preservation' protection and remains mainly untouched, with patches of waist high grass and other vegetation.

Anyways, one day my daughter asked me and my husband to join them. It was fun, we climbed down and started walkng down this gravel path. It was really beautiful. After walking for a few minutes the path ended at the edge of the creek and there was water which looked slimy and slippery. I told her that we cannot walk through the water because it is dirty. So she turned off the gravel path and started treading through this waist high grass - 'are you crazy' I yelled 'there could be snakes there' (so far we have encountered 5-6 snakes in our herb patch, but according to the experts, there are no poisonous snakes in Maryland - but I don't want to be the first one to prove the experts wrong).

She kept on walking, so I had to follow her. I had the puppies with me and they sort of disappeared in the grass. On the other side of the grass was the creek again. It looked like the water had recently receded and the vegetation on either side of the creek was covered in yucky, stinky mud. My daughter located this little patch of sand and dirt and proudly parked her behind there saying "this is the most beautiful place in the world, this is my spot".

Both my husband and I could only find whatever was wrong with this place - it is too far away from our house, so we won't be able to hear them. There could be snakes hiding in the overgrown grass. Since we saw a huge herd of deer on the other side of the creek, there could be deer ticks every where. Lyme diesease??

In short, we forbade our daughters from coming to this spot from now on. We all walked back silently and sadly home. I was feeling really bad - I am always forcing my daughters to be outdoors and enjoy nature - and just when they have finally found a place and an outdoor activity they like, we are forbidding them??

When we got home my older daughter found a tick on her arm and she started crying - "see???" my husband said.

This was about 5-6 weeks ago - kids haven't gone back there since then - they haven't even asked.

Was I wrong?

Did I over react?

Did I ruin something beautiful?

I am asking all these questions to myself as I am reading 'Last Child in the Woods'.

Are us 'paranoid parents' really causing nature deficit disorder?

Comments

Sue said…
It is so sad, isn't it? But what else can be done? It is hard to figure out what is an acceptable risk, and for what reasons. We struggle with this with my boys all the time. And if they don't take the risks, then what is the price to be paid?
Green Bean said…
It is such a hard call and I think the important thing about Last Child in the Woods is that it makes us aware of this balancing act. Before I read it, I would only have seen the negative and told everyone to come home. Now, I know how important it is to be out in nature and it there is more to balance. What can we do but the best we can and hope that we make the right decisions.
ruchi said…
I'm not a parent, but I agree that it is a tough call. I grew up on a steady diet of Enid Blyton books and the kids in those books were always wandering in the woods by themselves, or going to the seaside alone. And so I was always trying the boundaries.

And I think it's important for kids to have a place of their own and to have a special place that is just for themselves where they can play and daydream. OTOH, you are a parent and you want your child to be safe. And if your child gets Lyme disease, you are the one who will have to take care of her.

Maybe you can encourage her and her friend to find another beautiful spot a little closer to the house that wouldn't be so tick-infested?
delhidreams said…
hmmm
not a parent yet, but can very well understand ur feelings. as well as the kids'.
the key i feel is to balance. i basically was an indoors child, never ventured outdoors except when i wanted to be really really alone. then, i would take my bicycle and go to nearby fields where there were green crops, running tubes, lush orchards and all. but even then i was close to any help i might need. in ur case its a bit difficult to decide.
children do need their own space, infact they should be encouraged to develop their own but not risking their security.
hmmm. what i wud suggest is you going out on a couple of nature walks/trails with them. let them explore and choose a spot in ur company. that ways, u'll be assured of their safety and they'll be happy to have found a world of their own.
and yes, the couplet u asked for has been explained in the comments section on delhidreams. hope u'll come 'wandering' again :)
pink dogwood said…
Sue - it is really sad, I wish it was otherwise.

Green Bean - if I hadn't read the book, I wouldn't even be questioning myself.

arduous : yes - I am thinking it is about time my husband built them a tree house or something.

Adi: thanks for stopping by - yes we do go out on nature walks together - I will try to find them another spot to call their own.
Bobkat said…
I must say I agree with 'arduous', perhaps you could go with your daughter and find a spot she likes and one that meets your criteria. It's a tough job being a parent!

BTW - to answer your question, Michele is a blogger that opens her blog to sometimg called 'the meet and greet' at weekends where bloggers can meet and visit other bloggers. You'll find here at:

http://www.micheleagnew.com/

Though she is on sabbatical right now.
Unknown said…
Hi there! This is my first time on your blog. I'm going out on a limb here, since I don't really know anything about you or your kids (for example, how old they are), but I feel very strongly that you should let your kids have their favorite spot back!!

Let them have some freedom and encourage them to make good decisions. Even having parents nearby doesn't even protect kids from the biggest dangers - our best approach to "safety" is to teach our kids to be smart about what they're up to.

Teach them about Lyme disease and how dangerous it is and why they should avoid ticks. Have them do tick checks periodically during their adventures and afterwards. Encourage them to avoid the tall grass - find a different way around. Give them some good creek-walking boots so they don't have to avoid the mud. Give them a whistle to wear whenever they are in the woods - teach them how many times to blow for an emergency and make sure they don't "cry wolf."

I guess my point is that there are ways to mitigate the "risks" and give your kids the important message that they are competent people who, when given sufficient information and responsibility, can learn to make good decisions for themselves (which is even better than you being there to "protect" them).

The most dangerous situation we put kids in is in the car! But we do that every day. Somehow, we've convinced ourselves that riding in cars isn't risky - but it's a lot more likely that we'll get hurt or killed on the highway than it is in a field of tall grass.

I need to read the book you mention. But first I think I'll go tromp through the woods and look for toads and salamanders!

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and raising the conversation topic. I enjoyed participating.
Deb said…
Hi ~ I read your post with interest- good conversation. I think that everyone's point of view depends on past experiences. I am the mom of four grown children. We live in the country in northern NH - very woodsy, lots of ticks, wildlife. I understand your concerns but...I think I would let the kids go back to their favorite place. There is so much to fear in life that there is no way we can protect our kids from all danger. I had a huge tick attached to the back of my ear the other day - it was gross to say the least but it won't stop me from going out and 'playing' in my garden again. Being a parent is the hardest job in the world - I wish you well.
pink dogwood said…
bob-kat: yes I think we can find a similar spot, I am still thinking about what to do. It is a tough job being a parent.

em: thanks for stopping by. I agree it is more dangerous to drive and there are other situations far more dangerous. I appreciate your comments and will have to rethink the whole thing.

debbie: thanks for sharing your experience. One of my coworker's wife has lyme disease and I have seen how it has altered their lives. Somedays, just getting out of bed is a struggle for her. Anyways, I do understand that just because you get a tick doesn't mean that you will get lyme disease. Thanks for stopping by.
bobbie said…
Hi. Guess I have to put in my two cents. I grew up wandering the woods and fields. We never thought of danger, nor did our parents apparently. that is not to say that you should not worry at appropriate times. I must agree with em. I would let the children go back to "their" spot, but with instruction on ways to protect themselves. I wouldn't worry about the non-poisonous snakes. Ticks can be avoided most of the time by wearing socks up over pant legs, and if boots are called for, all the better. And of course, checks should be done regularly. Sadly, our children today are often in more danger on their own streets.
Sunny said…
Great Blog...
I also have one @ xanga
it is http://www.com/freye

Sadly I can't access @ the library?
But can @ my daughters.......
There are more pics and holiday memories on it than this one....
But would LOVE you to view
Bless your day
Freye(sunny)
Joanna said…
We are probably the most relaxed parents I know- but we juggle these sort of things all the time. I am also reading last child in the woods and it is changing my perspective. I think that modern parents are more paranoid than ever and there is alot of evidence out there to say that the only greater dangers kids face now compared to 50 years ago is increased road traffic- and road accidents are the biggest danger to children by far.
As far as ticks go get them out within 24 hours and there is no danger what so ever and its not the tiny ones that are carriers its the fat ones which have had two feeding/molting cycles. (We live in Lymes desiese central station) My middle daughter is a tick magnet and we have had a few scares because she is also an illness magnet. I just check them every night at pajama time.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...