Skip to main content

Office Space

He comes over in the next cube and starts arguing loudly again
Republicans, democrats, religion, war
Unwelcome, uninvited sound waves grating on my nerves
I just want to meet this deadline

I reach for my ipod and jam the rescue into my ears
Music starts blasting
A calm ensues
Scene in the next cube becomes silent
Arms waving, mouth moving, cynical smiles
Become downright comical
I smile to myself as my finger flow over the keyboard
All is well again :)

Comments

Kay said…
brilliant!!! :)

missed ya!
Lori ann said…
i do this too. thank goodness for headphones. and music.

take good care bhavana, it's nice to see you posting!
Brian Miller said…
smiles. yeah sometimes a retreat into the music is the best plan...nice write
Meghana said…
I wish school allowed you to do that during lunch! Lucky Duck!! So pretty mom :)
Dianne said…
that's the way to do it!! :)
karen said…
Great, good riddance!! Sometimes enough really is enough... :)
Snowbrush said…
What a marvelous description!
Anil P said…
Cubicle challenges!

Music can be a welcome escape from the unwelcome.
Snowbrush said…
Things have been awfully quiet over your way lately. I hope you're okay.
bindu said…
Really good poem! The scene came alive before me. :) Hope all is well with you!
Dianne said…
stopped by to say Happy Mom's Day
hope all is well
diyadear said…
hey there..

some 3 yrs back u had visited my blog.. i know its late to visit back but as they say better late than never :)
Thanks for visiting..

Cheers,
Divya
Unknown said…
omg, 5 years later i am reading it and it can't come at a better time - that's what i need today - music to concentrate! on it :)

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...