Skip to main content

Half Marathon



I participated in the Baltimore Running festival on October 16th and ran the half marathon.
It was a perfect day for running and I was full of nervous energy. I was told to walk the first mile or two to warm up since I was dealing with a hip injury. So I ran the first three miles as fast as I could. What can I say, I got caught in the energy that is there at the start of such things. Things slowed down after that. Come mile 7 there was more walking then running happening. I practically limp-walked the last two miles. To make a long story short – I finished the event in 3 hours – about 30 minutes more than my goal time. But I did finish it on my own and didn’t have to be carried off the course – so I am happy with that outcome

Last time when I did the half marathon it was so hot and miserable that I told myself never to do it again - I guess 'never' amounted to two years because I forgot the misery and decided to do it again this year. This year the weather was so good, if it wasn't for the pain I was feeling towards the end, I could have gone on for a few more miles. And when I finshed the event I already started thinking about the next thing that I could do.

So I am taking a break for now and let my injuries heal.

Comments

bodaat said…
Congratulations!!
Betsy Brock said…
Oh, I am so impressed! Good for you...especially with your hip hurting!
Paula & Skip said…
I am truly impressed! Congrats!
Tillybud said…
Well done - what an achievement!!!

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...