Skip to main content

The Quiet Dogwood

When the Cherries and Pears
Apples and Plums
Are done showing off
Their ostentatious display




Then the quiet dogwood
Gentle and unassuming
Unfurls its simple blossoms
Glowing in its simplicity

Comments

love these flowers,love the lines...
lovely name..
love the whole page full of flowers
pink dogwood said…
Thank you Lakshmi - I love these flowers so much that I think I was a dogwood in my previous life :)
Oh, I must plant dogwood! I hope they grow well here.
karen said…
They are absolutely beautiful!Maybe you were a dogwood - lucky you :)
aMus said…
i remember onec asking you what a pink dogwood is!

those flowers are pretty, and i love the lines too!
Dianne said…
beautiful poem
I love dogwood, they are so classic and beautiful
Lovely lines!! Beautiful flowers!!

Maybe you really were dogwood in your last life!
Dorothy said…
I love those flowers and the smell...beautiful pictures..

Dorothy from grammology
grammology.com
ArtPropelled said…
... gentle and unassuming .... beautiful words and beautiful blossoms.
Deb said…
Every time I see a beautiful flowering dogwood I think of you, my blogging friend who happens to be a creative poet!
Bobkat said…
Bravo! I love the simplicity of that poem and the photo is wonderful.
destinednomad said…
simple, subtle and sublime post. loved it!
Sue said…
Your poem is beautiful! And the photo as well! :D
delhidreams said…
pretty - both the image and the sentiment :)
glad to have found it.
Anonymous said…
was waiting for when the bloom will come alive on the blog...and the lines -- perfect
Snowbrush said…
Dogwoods quiet? Perhaps you speak of yourself. I think of dogwoods as being among the loudest for forest trees, at least.
Anil P said…
Loved the verse. They sure look gentle. An maybe they whisper to each other in a language bees understand. :-)
Val said…
just so beautiful! thanks
Delwyn said…
Hi Pinky

I didn't know this tree until I met it on one of my spring visits in New Zealand. It is a beauty, as is your prose beautiful to match the topic and the blog name

Happy days

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...