Skip to main content

go green


As I was reading the post from mouse medicine today, it got me thinking. About 2-3 years ago, I made a conscious effort to change my habits to be more environmentally friendly. There are so many things that felt like a great effort to begin with, but have now become a way of life. Here are some of the things that I now do

  • compost everything I can

  • grow some vegetables

  • grow some berries

  • bake my own bread

  • carry reusable bags to the grocery store

  • use dryer racks to hang clothes indoors, instead of using the dryer

  • use CFL bulbs through out the house

  • use reusable containers instead of zip locks whenever possible

  • avoid disposable paper products

  • reduced the use of paper towel

  • try to buy everything organic that I can

  • try to buy local produce whenever I can

  • use overhead projector at work (instead of printing copies for everyone) - whenever possible

  • in winter - wear more layers and keep heating settings down

  • in summer - wear less layers(:)) and keep AC settings up

  • pull weeds instead of spraying them

What are some of the things you do?

Comments

Sylvia K said…
I do most of the same things that you do. Seattle is a very environmentally aware city and that helps. We have a regular trash barrel, one for recyclables - paper, plastic, glass; and then one for yard waste, leftovers etc. so that helps. I also use cloth grocery bags. Most stores have them and they're cheap and they last. And we keep the house at about 65 during the winter and we, fortunately don't need air conditioning here. And, yes, I've learned to wear extra layers during the winter.

We do what we can, like you and I like to think that there are many of us doing the same things.

Great post/reminder!

Have a great weekend!

Sylvia
Excellent list. My additions:
1. Reuse
2. Buy only what you need
3. Frequent/patronize local farmers
4. Cook in quantity
6. Plant natives
7. Conserve water
8. Avoid chemical fertilizers/herbicides/insecticides
9. Buy staples in bulk
10. Simplify your life
Snowbrush said…
1) Low volume shower heads help.
2) Insulating hot water pipes saves resources.
3) Not flying is an excellent way to save resources and to avoid polluting.
4) Combing errands if you drive is good.
5) Fixing faucet drips is commendable.
6) Avoiding products that have excessive packaging is a great idea.
7) Taking your own bags to grocery stores saves trees.
8) Bicycling and walking instead of driving helps avoid pollution.
9) Asking for newsletters to be emailed to you instead of snail mailed also saves trees.
10) Encouraging others to think environmentally sometimes makes a difference.
Lori ann said…
We do all of the above (no ac, just a fan though). We also buy almost everything secondhand (craig's list) There is so much out there already made, it feels extremly wasteful to me to buy new.
And we bike or walk (sometimes run) to work and other errands.
We've always been about experiances instead of material things.
The biggest, simplifying is the best.
Val said…
whether or not climate change is man made - or a giant climatic cycle - or whatever; it is so exciting that it is teaching us at last to take care of our wonderful planet. So many things we would not have thought of doing before. its a time of change and an exciting time i think x
Bobkat said…
All good stuff and I do lots of the same things too. I also only shampoo once with no repeat which puts less pollutants in the water and saves a lot of shampoo too! After all, you don't wash your dishes twice or lather your body twice so why do it to your hair too? My hair is never greasy either!
Anonymous said…
it is so good to see people doing so many things ..
Anndi said…
This is my first visit, and I love that I ended up visiting as you're talking about what we can do for our planet.

We also do so many of the things previously mentioned.

I use a steam mop and have reduced on cleaners. If I need to use cleaners, I use more natural alternatives whenever possible(vinegar, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, etc).
I do the same,I use my washing machine water to wash my bathrooms,varenda and watering my plants.In north India we wear extra layers during winters

I reuse jam,pickle or pepsi-coke ect bottles or give them to my helper she sells it to the kabadi-wala and get some money,( she is a poor widow with a large family to support.)
karen said…
Good for you! I think one of the main things for me, is resisting the print button! I often feel like I don't do enough..but it's always encouraging to see how many others are doing similar small bits to help :)
Val said…
i just started your book "Water For Elephants" and am LOVING it already - thanks so much for the recommendation!!
pink dogwood said…
Sylvia: Yes one thing that I would like to see our county do it collect compostables. I saw that when I visited my cousins in toronto. I compost myself, but for people who dont, at least the compostables get picked up.

Lakeviewer: "Buy only what you need" - I am working on it :) "Simply your life" - working on that one as well - thanks :)


Snowbrush: thanks for the list - some good recommendations there. I will look into insulating hot water pipes. thanks

Lori ann: I should also start looking into second hand stuff from craigs list - thanks

Val: I agree

Anrosh: yes - I feel hopeful

Anndi: Thanks and welcome.

persianbuttercup: yes I like how you have portable washers and can resuse that water. I also try to reuse jars :)

Karen: I also use the backs of old printed paper at work for notes and stuff - hate to throw away paper when the back of it is completely usable :)

Val: - enjoy the book :)

Bob-kat: thanks for telling us about shampoo once - I started doing it as well. Every little bit helps :)
Anil P said…
Considering the list, it is surely a feat. Commendable. The one thing I am dogged about is using public transport almost all the time, hopefully reduces my carbon footprint.
Shails said…
Excellent.I consider it our moral responsibility to live responsible and take only what we want.
I see that the only simple way to go green is by consuming less of things.
delhidreams said…
hey, if u want some hindi songs, do drop a mail to me :)

delhidreams@gmail.com

take good care of ur feet *hugs*

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...