Skip to main content

perfect strangers

"You come here often Miss?" A silver haired gentleman asks me as I turn out of the cracker aisle in the grocery store.

"Not really" I admit.

"Well, I am just looking for some popcorn"

"Popcorn?" I ask

"Yes, popcorn - the kind you put in the microwave. Doggonit - I am craving that popcorn."

"Sorry" I shrug and walk away.

A couple of minutes later I spot Orville Redenbacher box of microwave popcorn. I pick one up and rush around to the other aisle where I see the same gentleman standing there grinning as he has the same box in his hand.

"Oh, you already found one" I say

He sees the box in my hand and says "You are so sweet - give me the one that you have, I will take that one."

So I handed him that box, he thanks me and I walk away with a stupid grin on my face.

Comments

Perfect strangers; what a beautiful gesture.
Delwyn said…
Hi Pinks D

a lovely simple act of spontaneous kindness,sweet girl...

Happy days
ArtPropelled said…
An act of kindness can keep you smiling all day....whether you are giving or receiving.
Anonymous said…
i am sure your gesture would make him smile everytime he eats that packet and turn around that corner.

kind gestures never leave memory.
pink dogwood said…
thanks all - it is such a small thing and these things happen to us all the time. I just wanted to write it down so that I can remember this 'feel good' moment :)
bindu said…
That's a sweet moment!
Unknown said…
What a charming story. I am stopping by for a visit and I am enjoying it immensely! (I came here via the Plum Tree)
-Karine
Meghana said…
you know when I read even just the title, I knew you could continue writing on that subject. You could even write a whole novel if you know what I mean :D
Meghana said…
This comment has been removed by the author.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...