
What was I thinking????
I have a 'master to do list' - things like visit machu pichu, get a brown belt in karate, make a quilt and learn hip hop.
So guess what? I signed up for adult hip hop at my daughter's dance school. I was a bit nervous about it - but hey didn't I just run a half marathon last year? How demanding can a little hip hop class be - right?
One thing I learned real fast is that you get out of shape real fast. The last time I ran was last May for a 10k - have been relaxing more or less since then.
I have a 'master to do list' - things like visit machu pichu, get a brown belt in karate, make a quilt and learn hip hop.
So guess what? I signed up for adult hip hop at my daughter's dance school. I was a bit nervous about it - but hey didn't I just run a half marathon last year? How demanding can a little hip hop class be - right?
One thing I learned real fast is that you get out of shape real fast. The last time I ran was last May for a 10k - have been relaxing more or less since then.
The class starts and the instructor is like a ball of energy. The first thing we are asked to do is drop to the floor and do 10 push ups - say what??? What do push ups have to do with dancing I ask you? Then we proceed to do 6 sets of 8 situps or crunches or whatever they were that made my core burn. We survive the warm up and move on to the basic steps where I feel as uncoordinated as a baby learning to walk. And don't even get me started on the snake thing - I am not sure if I am genetically engineered to do the snake thing.
But I loved it. I was sweating and out of breath and super happy. I think it is something about making our bodies move that gets the happiness juices flowing. So, for now I am hip hopping and I like to move it, move it . And as a side benefit I met a great bunch of girls who also like to move it, move it.
And as I sit here eating my bowl of cheerios with craisins (since the dinner that I had at 5 was used up in the first 10 minutes of the class), my knees are saying - we know you like to move it, move it - but did you have to do so much the first day??? Maybe I should shut them up with a couple of advils?
(image from here)
Comments
btw, you sent me a mail when joining FB right? it always takes a while for your real name to sink in.
Be careful, Snowbrush has good advice.
I think it always hurts at first, I'm sure you know your body since you're a runner
plus hip hop is such a great stress buster, I clean to hip hop music, makes me move faster ;)
:-)
You know...they say others can gain strength from your courage. ;)