Skip to main content

crafting a perfect life - on paper at least

I haven't written anything in a while because my work was occupying too much of my time.

Anyways.

I have been realizing lately how much I enjoy pulling weeds, mowing the lawn, pruning bushes, admiring my vegetable garden. And how much I don't like reporting status on Tuesdays, office politics, managing projects, working in a too cold office where windows are sealed shut, being forced to work hours prescribed by the employee manual, having to adhere to no denim - only business casual dress code.

I keep creating these rough drafts of my perfect life in my head.

Rough draft number one: I own a bakery where I work like crazy seven days a week and I am enveloped in freshly baked bread aroma bliss with a smile permanently affixed on my face. (I have heard that a bread bakers day starts in the wee hours of the morning - that doesnt discourage me. I am reading a book called Amy's Bread and loving her life, even though it is crazy busy )

Rough draft number two: I own a vineyard (I know nothing about making wine - but that doesn't stop me from dreaming) - I even keep designing my own wine labels on the back of one a day calender on my desk at work.

Rough draft number three: I live at the edge of the town on a farm where I grow organic produce that I provide through CSA. I have 4 dogs, 2 pigs called penelope and abigail, and 6 chicken - I pick fresh eggs for breakfast every morning. And when my head hits the pillow at night I am so bone tired that the next thing that I know is that the rooster in the backyard is welcoming a brand new day.

But I haven't made it too far into these drafts. They are simmering, slowly but surely, on the back burner.

Do you love what you do for living?
How would you live differently if you didnt have to rely on the paycheck that you get from the job that you are ok with most of the times but it doesn't make you mad happy?
What are you waiting for?
What am I waiting for?

Comments

ArtPropelled said…
My dream is farm life again ... like your no.3 but with my husband doing the farming while I do my art.
pRiyA said…
Ah, you make the bread, i'll make the butter...but something tells me we both will be eating up most of what me make.
Doyu Shonin said…
>my husband doing the

On the other hand, a friend of mine has inherited acreage, and she said to her husband, "I saw this really nice Massey Ferguson today..."

His eyes widened. "What do you want a tractor for?"
Sylvia K said…
I was fortunate enough to have several jobs during my working lifetime that I truly loved and enjoyed. And at the same time felt that I made a worthwhile contribution to a small portion of the world. However, the problem came when I was forced to retire -- you really do get too old to work in the eyes of many and that was hard to accept and find a way to continue to be able to experience joy, laughter, fulfillment. But, slowly I have found great pleasure in my life today -- not perfect by a long shot, but good. And you wonderful people out there have helped me do just that!

Have a great day and do something special just for you, because you deserve it!

Love,
Sylvia
Samosas for One said…
I have two links to check out:

http://mylifeinbrown.wordpress.com/

http://www.mitaliblog.com/
Bobkat said…
I love the second option. That would be bliss!
You're on to something here. After I retired I realized that I could have moved and started a new life ten years earlier. We got to dream and act upon our dreams.
bodaat said…
i just blogged after being inspired by your post today!
Lori ann said…
What a lovely post. I started dreaming the minute I began reading. Your choices all sound so satisfing. My husband and I often have these conversations. We are fortunate that most of what we do, we love. The rest is for the money, espically since what we love doesn't always pay the bills!
Beth Kephart said…
Ah, I like the sounds of these. The bakery option puts me in mind of a French town where we once stayed, St. Eulalie. It was all flour smoke in the morning, and I've taken that smoke and put it into a novel now.
ah! I love this game! Maybe I have an alpaca farm where I spin my own yarn and knit in the shade.
Hey, I saw this trailer last night and it reminded me of your post. Looks pretty interesting.

http://lemonademovie.com/
bindu said…
Nice rough drafts ... I hope these interests blend into your life to some degree. I have lots of these in my head ... it's very distracting sometimes. :)
yelena_r said…
and what would you do with pigs my dear? it's not like you can milk them or anything? :)
I can totally see you in the bakery though and looking forward to some nice chala :)
Deb said…
I love this post - and the title. If I could do anything else I would like to work on my crafts all day long - I have so many unfinished projects. If I could only figure out how to make money from them! I would also love to farm and be more self-sufficient. Follow your dreams!
Snowbrush said…
Well, being practically disabled at this point, I no longer feel that I do anything for a living, but of YOUR fantasies, I would probably go for the bakery. Some of my happiest times are the hours I spend baking crackers when its rainy and cold out. All breads are fun to bake though.
Anonymous said…
may be amy is living a buzy life. but when i walk by her store, i become pavlov's dog..it is so----so...good.
~mE said…
I keep dreaming like this almost everyday..:)

No i am not happy what im doing for my living..given a choice id go to some village in the hills and just be productive there, doing, teaching what i know.
Samosas for One said…
http://scratchbread.com/
Jagriti said…
i cudnt have identified with you more...not a single day goes without my dreaming of a day when i cud chuck my job and go off to live in some wooden cottage on a hill station...! but like you said, there are things that stop us from taking the plunge...

but maybe one day...someday...

the hope lives... :)
Kay said…
I'd go with option 3. Why? Because I dream of something similar.. :)

My rough draft :
I live in a a small town near to a big city - have an organic farm, not so huge to overwhelm me - just the right size - there's a greenhouse there for me to grow stuff in winter. I have a wonderful orchard and have people coming over to pick their own fruits in summer. I also bake awesome pies to sell.

In my greenhouse, I grow organic greens to sell in super markets. I grow almost all of my produce, have chickens for eggs to eat at home, just slow down and savor every bit of my time.

I dream.
Kay said…
Oh, change the word 'super markets' to farmers market and natural food stores.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...