Skip to main content

there goes my heart

Have you ever had your heart well up with tears?

My nephew left for college this morning. My sister came over last night with a fully packed car. She dropped off her little girl with me and drove her son to college this morning.

I went throught the Indian custom of doing 'teeka' where you bless a person going on a journey to be victorious. Place a little 'kumkum' and rice on their forehead, feed them something sweet to make their journey pleasant, give them some money for good luck. What an emotional time.

It wasn't too long ago when my husband and I drove all night one Friday after work from Maryland to Ohio to welcome the first grand baby in our house. We were amazed at this little bundle.

Now a blink of an eye and this little bundle of joy is driving away to college - My eyes teared up as he was backing out of my driveway. Go forth and be victorious my little one.

And always remember that we love you.

Comments

Very sweet.I have a similar one written called my daughter grows up....After all bonds,emotions and relations which keep us going.All blessings to your nephew.
Sylvia K said…
Ah, yes, they all do grow up so quickly, don't they? Sometimes I look at mine now and wonder how they got so big, so grown-up? Surely it couldn't have been that long since I rocked them, nursed them and kissed away the hurts -- I had magic lips in those days! Wonder what happened to them, too, sometimes. Many blessings and good thoughts to your nephew. And thanks to you for sharing the love.

Dab your tears and enjoy the day!

Sylvia
bodaat said…
Here's wishing your nephew a safe journey and success in college! i hope you're feeling better.
bindu said…
My nephew started college this year too ... the oldest one in our house. But they don't even live on the same continent as me, so I hardly ever get to see them. Glad you could personally bless him and send him to college.
ArtPropelled said…
It is a strange feeling isn't it? I saw my first grandniece (nephews baby) a little while ago and felt as if my heart was welling up with tears. Time is racing a little too fast for my liking these days.
aMus said…
first children are so precious..

we adore our nephew, he's almost 18now, but he has a special place in our hearts!

my good wishes to all of you
Shalini said…
What a heartfelt post! It's a special time for him, enjoy!
Anonymous said…
And Meghana says in her poem so well "we shall be waiting".
Lori ann said…
Oh I do know what you are going through! I'm sure your love has gone with him to college.
xx
Shails said…
Aww...Time flies doesnt it.
Val said…
so much beauty in your blog - I hope he is victorious in his life and there will be happy tears at his homecoming too. thank you
janis said…
My youngest just left on Wednesday for college...
The good news~ she is only an hour away; her sister is there also; she is strong, vibrate, smart & independent; we have perpared for this for years; I am so proud of her...
the bad news~my baby left...I am sleeping with her blankie!
Meghana said…
Oh, I wish I was there to see him go with you, I was probably awake, but not at home. If it wasn't kaila's birthday party, I wouldn't have even been awake then, but I would have been there. Werid how these things plan out, isn't it?
karen said…
hope he does very well. I know this time of life, and it does tug at the heartstrings to see them setting off on their new journeys!
Paula said…
How heartfelt. Hugs to you. Wishing him success and serenity.
Val said…
award for you at my place :-)
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tessa said…
Aaah, yes, I remember it well.....

Your Indian custom of saying farewell to a traveller is so beautiful, so profound - I love it. Thank you so much for sharing that with us.

I wish your nephew a Zulu blessing...hamba khale - go well, go gently.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...