Skip to main content

love on a scale from 1 to 10


Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now.

I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love?

Would I???

Is being in love a true or false?
Is it enough to say that you love someone?
Or is it a scale from 1 to 10?
Do some people love more intensely than other?
Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love?
Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love?

Would I?
Would you?
Should love be quantified?
Or do circumstances define it?
Can I make a grammatically correct sentence after two glasses of Syrah? I guess I will find out tomorrow morning :)

Anyways, enough of my ramblings - do read Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - I love it.

Comments

Deb said…
This book is sitting by my nightstand waiting to be read. I LOVE this post ~ you have developed a wonderful writing style - you pull me in and I always feel so comfortable here. Maybe it's the wine? Or maybe it's just you? Or maybe it is a perfect combination of the two together? Whatever it is, keep on writing!
bindu said…
Maybe you need to have alcohol more often then. :) Your writing is great. Haven't read this book; it looks interesting.
pink dogwood said…
Actually, I wasn't really drunk - just happy and relaxed :) we are going away for 10 days and we were packing earlier in the evening and we were all already in a vacation mode :)

Deb - thanks for the complement :) Do read the book - you will like it. I did read one of your recommendations (the double bind) and liked it, though when the reality of what had actually happened to that girl became clear, it made my stomach churn. But I truly enjoyed references to the Great Gatsby since that is one of my favorite books.

Bindu - you will like it too since you are a fellow animal lover :)
Shails said…
Dhanno ? :) I love that name.
ok, this will go into my to read lists. I crave for recommendations like this - because i have read so many bad novels these days that sigh...
You raise an interesting question. In todays 'me,me,me' society, how relevant is love towards another ? Would we sacrifice 'me' for another's love ?
The one love i would not classify as love is - love for your children - Hindi has a lovely word for it - 'mamatha' .This is a different dimension of love all together.
Sue said…
I think I want some wine too :D

and if you come up with any answers to your questions, let me know !!!
Sylvia K said…
I've heard about it, now I'm going to get it. I think your posts are marvelous -- have another glass of wine! I do every night, don't know that it makes the blog any better, but I feel better about it and that's all that matters!
karen said…
Blogging has left me with a huge list of books that I need to read! It's going onto my list for sure. If I had a glass or two of wine, I might elaborate on your "love on a scale from 1 to 10" theme..I thought it was a beautiful post! Hope you have a wonderful vacation x
aMus said…
no answers here...because it deals with hypothetical situations...

but i must say that your post made me smile...besides your writing has that welcoming way of drawing the reader in...

happy vacationing!
I think i should read this book.looks interesting.Dhanno-i liked the name.
ArtPropelled said…
Lol... Perhaps I should try writing my blog posts after a glass or two of wine.
bodaat said…
some of my best-written posts are written under the influence of 2 glasses of red wine. :)
haven't read a book since ages.This one looks interesting will surely read if I get to lay my hand.Your narration and language is awesome.You can become a wonderful writer.
Anil P said…
Some questions might be best left unanswered :-)
Great questions. We can love in many different ways, and the feeling can be expressed like different wines, sometimes sweet and light, sometimes dark and potent.
ArvindS said…
What do I say! Some people are lucky in love and ask these questions while others don't really believe in it anymore. Your writings get me very emotional.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...