Skip to main content

destiny

A jack-o-lantern was carved one crisp fall evening.
All the seeds were scraped and roasted
a snack for the goblins.
But one seed hid in the deep crevices of the pumpkin
It was destined to be something greater
greater than a roasted snack.

The jack-o-lantern deteriorated on the front porch
the seed escaped its confines
it slid on to the ground

then began a perilous journey
migrating the seed
via front yard
across the garage
into the fertile bed of the kitchen garden

so there it slept
under the dirt
through the cold of the winter
planning big plans


one fine spring day
the warmth and the moisture
enticed the seed into sprouting

It did not follow the neat lines
that the family had etched in the dirt
for the tomatoes and peppers
all arranged orderly
equidistant


It fulfilled its dream between two tomato plants
sending out its curly tendrils
grabbing onto the tomato cages
and whatever else they could find

The family was puzzled at this unexpected bounty
should we pull this out?
Is it a weed?
looks like a vine of somekind
lets just wait and see what happens


The vine grew mightier and bigger
than any other plant in the garden
it was loaded with gorgeous yellow flowers
was it a squash
or a cucumber
could it possibly be a pumpkin?

( we found a vine growing in our vegetable patch that we hadn't planted and this is one possibility of how it might have come to be)


Comments

Sylvia K said…
What a fun post! Great shots. And how fun to have a surprise in your garden! I love it!

Good to see your back!

Have a great week!

Sylvia
Meghana said…
wow mom, i didn't know. Great pics though.
Snowbrush said…
I very much enjoyed you prose/poem. I am often delighted to find "volunteer" plants such as your pumpkin, and I sometimes wonder how they came to grow where the did (other times, I have a good idea how they got there since they're in my compost or, perhaps, in my garden right where I grew the same plant last year).
ArtPropelled said…
Great piece of writing. I enjoyed that. (and the photos :-)
aMus said…
cute post! Do tell it not to worry... it has chosen the right garden patch to thrive, :)

and great pics!
karen said…
Welcome back! Hope you had a wonderful holiday, and what fun, to find a mysterious vine appearing in the kitchen garden! :)
bodaat said…
it's kinda fun to have a mysterious vegetable growing in your garden!
Deb said…
Hi ~ Welcome back! This made me laugh. I planted pumpkin seeds this year and not one came up. You didn't plant any pumpkin seeds and you have one growing. Guess it is clear who has a greener thumb! :)
i liked the way you had written.
Bobkat said…
What a fun surprise. Thanks for sharing the pics :)
Dianne said…
I love this journey!
Anonymous said…
..sigh .. so green.
and the words too.
bindu said…
Such a lovely surprise! I like your writing and imagination too. Looking forward to seeing what this grows into.
india flint said…
a cat i had as a child would bring home pumpkin scrapings as a treat for her kittens...resulting in happy accidents growing in the garden

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...