Skip to main content

say what???



We have established a nightly reading ritual over the summer vacation. Several nights a week we read out loud from a book picked by one of my daughters. We all take turns reading. We are reading a book called 'Zen and the art of Faking it'. My husband was a bit unsure about it in the beginning, but he seems to be enjoying it now.

We also try to find and list any words that either of the girls don't know the meaning of, and it goes on the assignment sheet for next day for them to learn. Once in a while we come upon some words that I don't know the meaning of as well (like geodesic) and it goes on their list of the words that they have to explain and teach to mom the next day. Very rarely we find a word that my husband doesn't know the meaning of and we are all amazed since he is Mr. Dictionary around the house. Anyways, this reading ritual is fun and educational for all of us.

A couple of nights ago, as my daughter was reading it, we happened upon a line "I didn't mean to diss her". My husband interrupts -- 'didn't mean to WHAT?' 'diss her' the three of us say simultaneously. 'What is that supposed to mean' he says??

All three of us stared at him in disbelief - how can he not know what 'diss' means?

So, we have another task at hand now - corrupting my husband's perfect English and infusing it with the newly adopted slang words in this wonderful adopted language of ours :)

Comments

One has to be able to communicate across generations and across cultures.
karen said…
I just loved this post - really made me smile! How wonderful that your girls are enjoying the world of reading, and that they have parents who read to/with them! x
Paula said…
Just found your blog and I love your statement about what smiles are for man kind. I can relate ever so much considering a smile the shortest and quickest conenction between to people
Tessa said…
This made me giggle like a crazy woman, Ribbon! My husband is exactly the same...he doesn't have a clue what the current slang means. Nor will he be taught - point blank refuses!

I've so enjoyed meandering through all the posts I'd missed while I was beset with that pesky IE8 glitch which was keeping from visiting all my favourite blogs! It's SO nice to be back...your blog is always an absolute delight. I'm off to read your daughter's thoughts now.....
bindu said…
That's funny. I find that diss fills a void in the english language very well. My husband knows this one and we use it a lot. He knows more of these slangs than I do, and I have to learn from him!
Samosas for One said…
Hahaha, that was really funny. Thanks for sharing. Let's see what other words you can teach your husband: dawg, homey, jacked up.

In regard to what you wrote on my blog here is what I would say: Are you kidding? I'm not inviting these people to my wedding. Oh wait...I'm related to some of them so I will have no choice. Awesome. :)
bodaat said…
oh my gosh, i love that story!!
Angela said…
???? I don`t know what it means, either!!!! But I have an excuse, I`m German! These things don`t even show up in dictionaries (that`s your husband`s excuse).
So? Maybe your daughters can explain it to me?
Anil P said…
Wonderful post. And what a fun way to learn.
Angela said…
Is it dissappoint? Oh surely, that must be it. Everybody uses abbreviations! (abbs?) hahaha
pink dogwood said…
Hey Angela:

here is the definition from m-w.com

1. slang : to treat with disrespect or contempt : insult

2.slang : to find fault with : criticize
Sylvia K said…
Oh, I love this post -- as I do all of yours, but this one did bring a big smile and a giggle! What a fun reading project for all of you! We did very similar things with our kids during the summer and I think we all learned and profited from it!
Have a great week!
Sylvia
Lori ann said…
you are such a good mom Bhavana. i miss those days of cuddling on the couch, your girls are always going to remember these days ♥
aMus said…
your posts make me smile so much :)

i guess you all will have much fun corrupting his perfect englissss
what an absolutely wonderful family ritual, sounds like something that would be good all year long!!

read on!!

never heard of the book, but the title is GREAT - off to see if the library carries it!!
Beth Kephart said…
What a fantastic family tradition. I often wish that my husband would be interested in books of any sort, that we could linger over lines.

I think this is beautiful.
pRiyA said…
hahaha...
love your posts, as always.
Raaga said…
This reminds me of english class in school :)

what a fun way to spend summer nights!
Bobkat said…
What a great ritual :) Fun too!
Deb said…
Oh. I so wish I had been your daughters' teacher. To have a family that reads together, discusses vocabulary together, has book talks together ~ you are every educator's dream come true! Keep on Reading!
Preeti Shenoy said…
What a lovely exercise!
And what a strange coincidence, a few days back i explained the word 'diss' to a friend.
And I did not know it was slang till i read this post! :P :)
Cheers
preeti
Beth Kephart said…
a vlog for you and your daughter on my blog today...
BALLET NEWS said…
I loved this post of yours - thank you so much !

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...