Skip to main content

coexist


When I was a little girl I had great compassion for anything living. I used to feel for flies who would drop in the water and would struggle to get out. I used to try to get them out on a leaf and leave them in a sunny place to dry. They would dry in a few minutes, rub their legs and fly off. I used to feel very good about saving the lives of these unfortunate flies.

That was then. Back when I didn't worry about what diseases they might be carrying. Things have since changed.

We have developed a fruit fly infestation in my kitchen. I have a little container under the sink where I store all the stuff that goes in the compost bin - vegetable peels, egg shells and stuff like that. Last week, a horde of fruit flies appeared from somewhere. I have had this container for more than a year now without a problem. So now I take it out to the bin in the backyard everyday instead of waiting for it to get full.

Anyways, last night I was walking around in my kitchen with a fly swatter trying to get the last of them. My younger daughter watched me for a while and then asked - "Momma, why must you kill these flies. Couldn't you gently guide them outside?". Wow!!! She really believes that these flies have as much right to live as we do? And I was amazed at her choice of words "gently guide them outside" - I was so happy that she feels this way. I knew she had great compassion for all kinds of animals (she wanted me to send money to save the polar bears instead of buying her presents last Christmas).

I told her that I tried but they are not listening so I have to get rid of them because they might be carrying diseases. She shook her head thoughtfully.

This small incident gave me an insight into how my daughter feels about living things. It reaffirmed my belief that if we instill respect for other living things in our next generation, it would manifest in so many positive ways. Maybe the next generation would refuse to eat any meat that wasn't humanely raised? Maybe we will see the end of factory chicken and pig farms?

I think that is the best inheritance I can leave for my kids - a love for nature, a respect for mother earth, and a compassion for all living things.

(mother earth image borrowed from here)

Comments

pRiyA said…
Both yours and your daughter's attitude reminds me of the woman in The Secret Life of Bees who guided roaches outside the house rather than kill them, using bits of marshmallow and crumbs...!
Sylvia K said…
I love to read words like these and they do give me hope for the next generation. Hopefully, we can all learn to expand our love, our tolerance, our understanding and compassion to include ALL living things. I remember doing the same things you did as a child. Your daughter is the image we should all wish to embrace and imitate.
Have a lovely weekend!
Snowbrush said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Snowbrush said…
Let me try that again--I didn't bother to read over it before I sent it, so sure enough I found an error.

I love the illustration that you used with this post.

I've never had children, but I related to everything you wrote except:

"Maybe the next generation would refuse to eat any meat that wasn't humanely raised?"

I was puzzled by this because there is no physical necessity for anyone to eat meat, and this raises, in my mind, the question of whether we are ethically justified in eating what is basically a luxury food. Too, there are the practical considerations about the vast acreages that are needed to grow the animals themselves as well as their food, acreages that would increase many times over if we went from factory farming to humane methods.

Flies are another matter, because as you pointed out, they are a threat to our health. Maybe you know of Obama's fly-swatting episode and PETA's criticism of it.
pink dogwood said…
Priya - thanks - I loved that book as well :)

Sylvia - thanks

Snowbrush - I agree that there is no necessity to eat meat - I am mostly a vegetarian and don't need any kind of meat to survive. But to your point regarding

there are the practical considerations about the vast acreages that are needed to grow the animals themselves as well as their food, acreages that would increase many times over if we went from factory farming to humane methods.

we would have to treat meat as luxury - it would be lot more expensive because there will be a lot less of it. And people would eat it once in a while as celebratory food ? That's how it was when I grew up in India.

Oh - and I missed Obama's fly swatting episode - I will look it up :)
Anonymous said…
I too am a saver of all things big and small :) and I am a 'grown up', well so am I told :)
xxsm
Lori ann said…
I don't want to kill flies either, but when they converge on the compost bin, errrgggg!

Good for your daughter though!
ArtPropelled said…
Well said! Yes I was the same about saving the little things when I was a kid. Despite all the stings I insisted on saving bees.....and still do.
Love the mother earth image!
Val said…
you are so right - those are absolutely the best gifts you can pass on! loved reading this - thanks
Dianne said…
I still try to "gently guide" them out

we had fruit flies too, have no idea where they came from but we did find a gap in the kitchen screen and it is better now

your daughter is wonderful, but that doesn't surprise me
wonderful the way its been written.loved it
bindu said…
So happy to see your daughter's attitude. I think all children are born with a love for nature and all living things. But it's the attitude of their parents that either encourages and nurtures that love or takes them along other paths. You have obviously got it right. :)
Deb said…
You are a wonderful role model for your daughters and have already taught them many important lessons about love and compassion - that is clear to anyone who reads your blog on a regular basis. Your words are always thoughtful, well-chosen, compassionate. You never write just because...you write from your heart. Thank you.
Anonymous said…
"gently guide them outside" - i always say that the politicians should have a sitting with these kids, before they go out and pass bills.

Take a bow little-big girl, the world is only a better place because of you
Preeti Shenoy said…
OMG! I used to do the exact same thing when I was a kid. Rescue ants and flies. As adults how we forget!
This post really made me think.
Your daughter is indeed compassionate--a great quality to have.
Cheers
preeti

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...