Skip to main content

How my 10K became 11K

I signed up to run the Zooma Annapolis 10K race several months ago with great intentions of actually running it.


But as it so often happens, I did not train for the event at all (I do have hordes of excuses - some of them really good ones :). The main reason I had signed up for the event was because the finishers get a custom made silver necklace made by an Guatemalan artisan - and as it is well known, I sign up for most races for shirts and medals - and the fitness that results from it is a nice side benefit.

The night before the race the family was over and we were up till late and I was debating if I should go or not. Finally I decided to go - someone told me that there would be wine tasting and cupcakes at the finish line. Even though I hadn't trained to run, I knew I could always walk it.

So, I woke up at 4 :30 - got ready for the event and left the house at 5:40. The event was in Annapolis, about 35 minute drive. The start time of the race was 7:00, so I figured I had plenty of time to get there. As I pulled out of the driveway, it was raining heavily. I drove to Annapolis, praying for the rain to stop. It didn't.

The traffic near the stadium was horrible and I couldn't get there until 7:15. So I had to run about half mile ( ~1k) from the parking lot to the start line and I was already tired when I got to the start line and I had another 10k to run. And so I ran. And it rained. And it rained the first 3 miles of the race. But hey, I wasn't the only one running in the rain, so can't complain.

Anyways, to make the long story short, I finished the race in high spirits. I ran most of the downhills and walked all of the uphills. As I ran the finish line, they were playing 'love story' by Taylor Swift - I love this song because both of my daughters love this song. I got my silver necklace. I had the wine. I had the cupcakes - it was great. I had fun. I will sign up for it again next year.

And I got home just in time to watch rest of my family waking up :)

Comments

Sue said…
That is so wonderful! It sounds like fun, and you make it sound so easy... but I know you are just being modest... there is NO WAY it would be as simple as that. You train more than you realize, I guess!
pink dogwood said…
Thanks Sue:)I had run a half marathon last fall, but haven't done much since. But 10k is a good distance - just when you think the race will never end, it ends :)
CrystalChick said…
That's so awesome. It sounds like a good experience that you went. Silver, cupcakes and wine are a nice benefit too. :)
David Edward said…
congrats on that! I do love Annapolis
bodaat said…
congratulations!! what an amazing feat! i'm in awe! i don't think i could run a 10k!
pRiyA said…
What a post! YOu really are something... :-D I can barely bring myself to crawl around the park. Maybe I should read this post each time I feel that way.
But what was that quotation about the 'taking part' that matters? So true!

And this stuff about 'bugs' being special features...Oh puhleese, spare me. Trust Americans to come up with a politically correct term for EVERYTHING. Including bugs.
:-P
pRiyA said…
And Congrats, on doing a marathon. I can't even imagine what that must be like, but it really is a feat.
And btw, I enjoyed reading the post.
:-)
ArvindS said…
Great job! I managed 3.5 miles yesterday, running ~75% of it including nearly all the uphill parts. Had you mentioned the wine and cupcakes earlier, I would have joined you.
Sylvia K said…
That is awesome! I can't run anymore, but used to and it was fun! It takes something extra to get out and do it, but it's so rewarding when you do! Congratulations!
bindu said…
Congrats!! I hope the rain was warm. Running in cold rain is hell, but in warm rain it's magical. And all those goodies at the finish line must've been awesome too.
Deb said…
I am so proud of you! I ran a 5K two weeks ago and was happy to have finished it - really wish they had had cupcakes waiting for me at the end ! I don't know if I could do a 10K - you go girl ! And...I have missed you while on my 'break' - glad to be back. Take care.
Anaka said…
Ummm.. you ran 10k without training for it? Congratulations, you inspire me.
Lori ann said…
Bhavana, you are so funny, I know just what you mean, I am happy for the health benefits but i really do it for the tshirt,medals,the fun afterwards!! Great job finishing. ☺
delhidreams said…
hi pink,
:) great going
am coming after a long gap, bur are you so angry with me that you deleted me from your blog list :)
Zion Girl said…
I am so proud of you......ok, the cupcakes made you do it!. I started running about 3 weeks ago and I have now become obsessed with it. I am amazed how energized I feel.

Oh......and send some of that rain out here to us in the west ........we need it.
Brooke
ArvindS said…
no more posts?

Karela is good when it is cooked spicy. Then I also have Karela achar!
Preeti Shenoy said…
Really good that you completed it!
Cheers
preeti
Anonymous said…
congragulations ..i did a 8k ..( all walking ) cannot run on concrete roads -- but i did it just to find out if my lazy bones are sleeping or awake..

but i would gladly run barefeet on grass --
Kay said…
Wow!! You ran a marathon without training? I'm amazed.

Maybe I should talk to my yoga instructor to have a yoga-thon someday and end it up with some goodies! I'd totally be there.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...