Skip to main content

free berries

I know - too many posts about berries already, but this is something that I had to share with you.


I didn't even know about mulberries until my friend introduced them to me. One day we were out walking at lunch time when she exclaimed, pointed and started munching on these things right off the tree. After being assured that they were edible, I joined in the fun as well. We visited that tree as often as we could at lunch time while the berries lasted. We could only reach a few of them as most of the branches were out of reach. You should have seen us jumping to reach branches way up there, loaded with ripe berries . We did get a few weird looks from some passersbys , but hey if they had tasted those berries, they would have joined in too. Then my company moved to a different town and the mulberry tree stayed behind. It was good while it lasted.


Imagine my joy when I saw a little patch of the trail near my house all stained with purplish, blackish stuff. I looked up and sure enough there stood a humoungous Mulberry tree. I had a good snack right there and it was just great. We walked home sated, with purple stains on our fingers.

Yesterday we took a ziplock with us and brought some home. They are a beauty to look at


and are amazing to eat right of the tree

But mixed with some kefir and honey, they are just amazing.


So be on a look out for them - I think they only last a few weeks.

And do let me know if you happen to find them.

Comments

Sylvia K said…
Oh, I grew up climbing up a mulberry tree and feasting on the berries! There was a huge one in one of my friends yard and that was the first feast of summer! Thanks for the memory! And enjoy!
Kay said…
My aunt had a mulberry farm for a few yrs and then it became one long mulberry tree. We called it 'caterpillar fruit' for a long time until my mom corrected us. :) Those mulberries were bursting with flavors. Glad you have a patch to forage!
Sue said…
I have a little mulberry tree that self-seeded in my front garden, and I've decided to leave it and hope for some fruit! It's little, and it had a few berries last year, but none this year... I was wondering if I could make mulberry jam, and I guess the answer will be yes (if the berries ever grow!)
Shails said…
Yum,yum .Isnt there a nursery rhyme about mulberries....
Val said…
what is 'kefir'? is it like yoghurt? those berries - i am drooling :-)
Jagriti said…
oh..i too love mulberries...! and its all the more fun when you suddenly find it growing somewhere on the way where you take a walk, or around your house...

when i was a kid, we used to stay in kashmir, where we used to feast on ripe juicy mulberries growing in the area where we used to go playing...though never tried it with honey... but i can imagine..must be yum :)
Snowbrush said…
I miss them here in Oregon. They will fervent on the tree, and birds will get drunk eating them.
Lori ann said…
oh yum. when i get my appetite back i am going to farmers market for boxes of berries. have you tried olala berry?
Val said…
award for you at mine!
Yes, they are big and juicy and most amazing. I have looked for them here in Oregon, to no avail. I have room in my garden for such a tree. Anyone know where to get one?
pink dogwood said…
Sylvia: I have never climbed a tree - too much of chicken I guess :)

Kay: :)

Sue: I want one in my yard too, but running out of space.

Shails: all around the mulberry bush, the monkey chased the weasel :)

Val: My russian friend introduced me to kefir - it is something between yogurt and buttermilk.

Jagriti: Kashmir - I have only seen in movies :(

snowbrush: drunk birds? never seen - or noticed I should say.

Lori ann: what happened to your appetite? Never heard of olala berries - will google in a minute

Val: thanks - so honored :)

lakeviewer: I found some at www.startbros.com - try this link

http://www.starkbros.com/access?action=product&productID=3002&collection=0

I might get one too :)
Lori ann said…
Hi Bhavana,

been undertheweather :(
Deb said…
Hi ~ You can never write too many posts about berries - they are all so delicious. Now a true confession - I have never had a mulberry. I wonder if they grow here in NH? I have raspberries, blackberries and blueberries in my yard. I have never seen mulberries for sale at any of the markets around here either. Hmmm...now I am curious! Hope you have a berry good day!
bindu said…
I love these too. Used to eat them of the trees when I lived in Philly. In Atlanta I found a bush and once when my sister was visiting, we went out and ate a whole lot of them and brought more back. When we took them out at home, noticed lots of tiny little bugs crawling off them. Apparently, we'd eaten lots of those bugs earlier ...!!
ArvindS said…
Hey, there are a lot them at PUT-PUT golf area just south of you guys on Rt 29. Just need to park your car and get on the roof to reach them
ArvindS said…
They are known in India as shehtoot. Definitely edible and leave great stains on clothes.

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...