Skip to main content

lemon love

Is it possible to fall in love with a plant?



I ordered a Meyer lemon online

and when it came my mother and I,

couldn't keep our eyes off the plant.

Momma even drove back with dad later that evening
to show him the most beautiful plant.
Dad couldn't figure out what the big deal was?
Men!!!!!
I want this plant to flourish and thrive.


Have repotted it and put it in a sunny spot on my deck

Silently prayed for its health and long life.


I will let you know how it goes,
but isn't this plant just adorable?
And maybe,
just maybe,
it will be ready with its offspring,
to make a perfect mojito for me,
one late summer afternoon

Comments

aMus said…
Can you see this wide grin on my face?!

cute! both the plant and you :)
pRiyA said…
i am told that meyer lemons have a very unique flavour.
ha ha ha about your dad's reaction. that is so typical.
bodaat said…
baby lemons are cute! we planted our lemon tree last july but it didn't survive. i live in phoenix, arizona so planting anything in the summer is a bad idea for us! i hope your plant enjoys a nice healthy life in your home!
Sylvia K said…
I'm in love with your lemon plant! How beautiful! And I want one, too! Your photos are exceptional! And men! well, what can you say!!
Samosas for One said…
This plant is being breeded for liquor!? :) Just kidding. I have this terrific olive oil with meyer lemon. It is yummy!
Val said…
oh thats a new one for me but it looks great - it surely must thrive with your love and attention!
karen said…
Lovely post, really made me smile! I love the way we women permanently manage to bemuse our men! x
Anonymous said…
...way to go pinkdogwood..here the weather is so cold that i just cannot keep the indoor plants out. today we need a jacket too !!
i am becoming envious right now pf all your plants :)-- but may it live long long ...

the smell of the lemony plants around the house makes it smell very fresh especially during those winters --
bindu said…
How nice! Did the fruits come out after you brought this one home? We have grown three little lemon plants from seeds (just threw the seeds into a pot, and were surprised when they actually sprouted!). Two are doing quite well, but the third isn't. I'm keeping a close watch on them too!
Angela said…
I wish we had a climate to grow lemon trees! This plant of yours look so beautiful and GREEN! Maybe I should just try it indoors, too? Hmmm, put a seed in a pot? That WORKS??
pink dogwood said…
Suma : thanks

pRiyA: I only researched after words that these lemon are something between a lemon and an orange

bodaat: I am keeping mine in a pot - bringing it in for winter.

Sylvia: you should get one - I ordered a tangerine one too, lets see what that looks like.

samosas: that would be the best use of a lemon - don't you agree?

val: thanks

Karen : so true :)

Anrosh: Jinxed - had to bring the pot in last night as we had frost warning.

Bindu: no - the plant came like that with little fruits? Unnatural I think - maybe it was forced somehow? But so adorable. My mom grew a tangerine from a seed of a tangerine she was eating - that was about 15-16 years ago - the plant is huge now, but never bore any fruit.

Angela: yes try it indoors - I would have to bring it in for winter too.
Tammie Lee said…
Quite possible to fall in love with a plant. I do it daily! Lovely plant indeed, I wish you much happiness and fruit ;-)
Shails said…
Wishing health and long life to the plant :))I know your feeling...I have planted some herbs this year and what pleasure it is to go visit them every morning.
Bobkat said…
It is a lovely plant :) Natural things have an innate beauty don't they?

Thanks for the lovely quote you left :)
pRiyA said…
hey pink, check out the clover saved in your honour, on my blog.
thanks to plenty of rain, it is now thriving.
;-)
mixdbrew said…
To answer your question...Yes!

I've fallen in love with plants, trees at various points of time in my life. I've hugged trees longer and more passionately than i've hugged a human :)

Love your beautiful pics. and your blog. Will come again!!
lovely ! ur pictures are very clear

Yep! one can fall in love with plants.My children at times complain "mom u love ur plants more than us.God has been bias ur dads' reaction was typical.
Zion Girl said…
The plant looks simply "delicious".Is it a tree or a plant?
Unknown said…
Thats a gorgeous plant...beautiful!!

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...