Skip to main content

lucky penny and a random act of kindness


Do you all know about "find a penny, pick it up and all day long you have good luck"?

Me and my daughters are strong believer of that and always pick up the pennies along the way if we find them - but you see they have to be right side up otherwise it doesn't work. So, if I see a penny and it is not heads, then I just leave it.

As my daughter was getting out of the car this morning, see spotted a penny on the curb, but alas, it was wrong side up. Instead of leaving it alone like I usually do, she flipped it and left it there. I was blown by this simple act of kindness for a stranger. She couldn't get the luck from the penny, but she made sure that the next person spotting the penny will. Why haven't I ever thought of that?

(penny image from here)

Comments

Sylvia K said…
We can learn beautiful lessons from our kids, if we keep our minds and eyes open. It's so easy to get into the mind set, that we as adults always know best. What a delightful thing for your daughter to do! But you see, she's learned kindness and generosity from you. Take a bow, too, Mom!
Anonymous said…
BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
i agree with sylvia....you are both beautiful people!
xxmango
aMus said…
why didn't you think of that? but then how else would you have seen this generous spirit of your girl and feel all warm inside knowing that she's growing up right?

and what a lovely thing to read on a Sunday morning! you made my day!
Shails said…
That is so beautiful.It speaks so much about their upbringing.i like your blog -there is something warm and comforting here
Lori ann said…
Beautiful Bhavana, please give that child a hug from me! such a lovely post.
♥
Anonymous said…
great nurture. kudos to u
bindu said…
How sweet! I really didn't see that coming. It's such a thoughtful gesture. I wish her entire generation would grow up like her. Then I would have some hope ...
clever and caring - she is like me :)
pink dogwood said…
thanks all for your comments.

Yes uncle subcontinental.giant - she is a lot like you :)
Snowbrush said…
My wife collects pennies. She threw on the brakes on her bike once to pick one up, and was hit from the rear by another bike. She dared not tell the other biker the real reason she had suddenly stopped.
I followed in her lead by doing the same yesterday in front of the cleaners!
CrystalChick said…
AWESOME!
Yes, I do pick up pennies and sometimes just leave them. Today, getting in my car I notice that a penny was on the seat but it was wrong side up so I just flipped it over... and then picked it up later. :)

Have a wonderful Mother's Day weekend!
mixdbrew said…
WOW!! what things children can teach us...beautiful post. U r so blessed :)

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...