Skip to main content

purple plant

I bought a purple plant from the spring festival in Towson two years ago. I kept it in a pot on either side of my front porch, rooted a cutting to put in a smaller pot that I brought in for winter. The original plants on the porch died.

This summer I just left it in the little pot and brought it in for winter. Now it graces my kitchen. It becomes much deeper purple outdoors in the full sun, but still looks pretty good indoors.

Last week it rewarded me with the most delicate flowers - I was overjoyed.

Whenever a plant in my care blooms, I feel like a proud parent beaming at her kid bringing home a medal. I feel like the plant is saying thank you. I believe the secret ingredient for a healthy plant is to shower it with admiring glances :) Do you think the plant can feel that it is loved?

Does anyone know what this plant is called?

Comments

Sylvia K said…
All I know is that it's beautiful! Isn't it wonderful when something like that happens? It is like being rewarded for doing something kind for someone/some thing! How fun! I love it when I get surprised like that and I have with a couple of plants. Beautiful photos, too!
bindu said…
I don't know what it's called, but I had this plant too, and loved the lighter purple-pink of its flowers compared to the rest of it. I feel proud too, when a plant blooms under my care - like it's a compliment to me!
~mE said…
i have a small cup with this plant and it has one flower...This plant just grown anywhere and in any contidition..just break a stem and plant and it will grow
Lori ann said…
no, sorry, but it seems this plant is happy to see you! lovely!
♥ Kathy said…
It looks somewhat like a Tradescantia... It's pretty :)
I don't know the name but I also have it at home.
I have no green thumbs but I know the feeling, watching them bloom, even when the nurturing wasn't directly mine,was great ...
I can imagine the joy when you do this yourself!
Deb said…
What a wonderful surprise for you in the middle of all this cold weather! Two posts in a row you have 'what is it' photos :) I knew the celery but I don't know the name of this plant. I like the color of the leaves also.
Stay warm!
pRiyA said…
this grows like a weed this side of town, we don't really give it a second glance. but seeing it in your photograph makes it look so pretty.
Bobkat said…
How pretty. I love the purple and green of the leaves together!
Shalini said…
It looks like tradescantia to me!
Anita said…
also called purple wandering jew of purple hart....They are so easy to take care of in my neck of the woods (dessert? :-))..and dogs and other strays leave it well alone!

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...