Skip to main content

falling in love

I came to this country 24 years ago. I missed India terribly. Everything was strange here. I missed my home that I had recently left, I missed my friends, I missed not looking like the majority of the population. One of the things that I missed terribly was the trees. The trees in India look totally different. We used to travel and go on short trips. I remember sitting in the back of my dad's Mahendra & Mahendra Jeep, inhaling dust and admiring trees for hours. I remember taking a 36 hour train ride to Calcutta and counting trees when there was nothing else to do (back when there was no nintendo DS :)


I came to US and the trees were so different here. I remember thinking I don't like these trees, they are bare half the time. I missed my Indian trees.


Fast forward 24 years - Every morning, I start my morning commute with a scenic route - it is only a 2-3 mile stretch that I drive on before getting on the highway. It is an old winding road surrounded by farm land. It even had a horse crossing sign at one point :)

I could avoid this road and get directly on the highway - but this is my morning meditation. I drive slow, breath deep and inhale the freshness of the new day. I love the beauty of this road, even though I have to drive slow and it adds extra few minutes to my commute. But I like to slow down a bit before jumping into the mad rush of the work day.

This morning as I was driving to work, sun was coming up from behind the trees. I slowed down. The view took my breath away. The bare trees, in their silvery elegance looked so majestic.


When did I fall in love with these trees?


How do I love thee
let me count the ways...
I love your entangled mess
all lush green in summer
I love to see you all rejuvenated
covered with flowers in Spring
But I love you the most
when you bare all
and present your inner beauty
in the dead of winter.

When did I fall in love with these trees?

I guess 24 years is a very long time.

Comments

Anonymous said…
the trees... all kinds i love. growing up in the suburbs of bombay i grew without trees ! only when i did masters in the heart of the city the lane had trees! and then when i went back to one of the suburbs in bombay to study and from my hostel room i could see only trees and a lake ( double bonus) .. and from then on wherever i went i would look for trees and a water body ( hudson) which we still enjoy. Thank god for small mercies. and Thank you bhavna for reminding.
Sylvia K said…
What a beautiful post! Thank you! Isn't it strange how, unbeknown to us we fall in love with an area, a place, a tree -- whatever, and it suddenly fills us with such lovely feelings and warmth. I'm glad you fell in love with the beautiful bare tree, even more I'm so glad you recognized it. Some don't and just go on aching for what they can't see.
Samosas for One said…
What do you miss most about India? Besides your family and friends of course...
pink dogwood said…
Anrosh : glad to find another tree lover:)

Sylvia: Yes, it always better to focus on gains instead of losses I guess. Thank you

Samosas: If I were to leave US now, I would feel the same way I did leaving India long time ago because this is home now and I love it. I miss the general chaos that is India, I also miss the calmness that is India. But mostly I miss family. I am very close to my husband's sister and I wish I could see her most often. When I go to India most people I meet make me feel like they have all the time in the world for me and I miss that here where we are always rushed and try to cram most of the socialization on weekends - not sure if I answered your question :)
karen said…
hi! i found my way here via Lori's - it was that tree pic that intrigued me.. I'll be back - this is wonderful! from a tree lover in africa... :-)
megha puNAter" said…
oh i miss them terribly too,but i am happy to learn about the trees here too its a new experience.
lovely post this one.
to the trees we left behind to the new ones cheers :)
Tillybud said…
I did a similar thing moving from a hilly landscape to a completley flat one. At first I thought, how monotonous. As with you, I don't know when I started to love the big skies and the misty fields. Beautiful words..I'm glad I stopped by :)
pink dogwood said…
Karen : Nice to meet you - loved your blog, I will be stopping by often. I have been fascinated by Botswana ever since I read the Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith.

Megha: I know your love for trees and you are lucky enough to express it through your art. I am remembering that post you did about trees.

Tillybud : Thanks
Bobkat said…
It's funny the things we find we miss. I guess the new trees were very unfamiliar to you and were so different from whatyou were used too. Looks like you've had enough time to find the beauty in the 'new' trees too :)

I love the fact that you do this little slow drive before the rush kicks in. It sounds like a wonderful metaphore for life somehow.
Shelly said…
Wow, that shot is incredible, definitely one to take the breath away.
Sharanya said…
omg, i love looking at trees too :) that's what even i do when i sit in the car(backseat) which i love to. and stare at how the branches spread out to reach the sky..:)
i love love it..:)
Nice post bhavna
Life is Journey said…
Very nicely written. Ppl generally cherish the things that they do not have or they seldom get it. But when you get the things easily, you simply start complaining about that thing.Like i am in India and i have never ever thought about the greenary and love for it. Your blog make me think in different way....Keep up the good work
bindu said…
What a lovely post! And I love your little poem - your ode to the trees. I could almost imagine you dreaming along on the road in the morning. :)
Lori ann said…
Beautiful post Bhavana! I could feel the peace you described on your drive, I like to do the same. I hope you can visit India in the near future. Love trees too, and what a beautiful photo.
xxx lori
Deb said…
Wonderful post - it reminded me of something I am always working on - being mindful of moments and appreciating the 'here and now'. You seem to have a good handle on both. Home is where the heart is!
Preeti Shenoy said…
Wow!!
24 years!
I too love trees--Indian,american,English--any!
Cheers
preeti
naperville mom said…
24 years is a long time... and slowly but surely, u fell in love with yr new surroundings...the write- up abt the trees felt good to read:)
aMus said…
that indeed is a beautiful pic...i have qiet a few of them too, swaying in the wind, bare, creepy...

i'm coming here after quite some time, and i sat and read all the posts i missed...and i loved your year in pics...
pRiyA said…
lovely thought provoking post and beautiful pictures.
sigh...!
Val said…
what a beautiful post - I love your blog. came here from Karen at border town notes. I am also a tree lover :-) I went to India about four years ago, and loved loved loved it. vowed to go back but hasnt happened yet....
I will be back here though!
Angela said…
Hi, I also came via Karen`s blog. I am a German and a tree lover, we have old oaks and dark fir trees and beeches and lime trees, some many hundred years old. All our fairytales have to do with trees. So first thing we did when we moved house, we planted trees in our garden. What trees are there in India?
CrystalChick said…
Beautiful!
I enjoyed reading this.

Trees are lovely. I have a small yard but am very happy to have a few of them. I especially like them in Spring and Summer but when I'm driving I like to look around at the very bare trees trees against the different colored skies.
How beautiful. The way you have put across this special feeling...


So true, meditation is a state of mind, where you are at peace:-)

Arch

Popular posts from this blog

walk at the beach

As I went for an early morning walk to bid adieu to the ocean I felt like three days was not enough. The vastness of the ocean made me forget everything. The voices in my head calculating and recalculating deadlines and the project plans, they were all muffled by the constant roar of the waves. The thoughts about work were wiped out as soon as they formed. The sand slipping away from under my feet reminded me of impermanence of everything. But, all good things must end and I was preparing myself to go back to my routine. As I walked the edge of the water, trying not to get wet, the ocean kept tugging at me like an insistent child. I tuned it out as I tried making a mental to do list of the stuff that needed to be done as soon as I got back. It threw a tantrum and lashed at me with this big roaring wave - how dare I ignore it? I smiled, put away my thoughts, and tuned back into the surroundings again. It calmed down and rewarded me with a gentle tinkling sound of its receding wave - lik...

berry impatient

3 years ago we bought some raspberry and blackberry plants from Lowes. With high hopes and visions of raspberry cheesecake floating in front of us, we made a berry patch. The first year we just had a few berries. Next year we had a few more, but they didn't taste all that great. So I told my husband that we will dig them out of this prime spot and put them somewhere towards the back of our yard and if they live, they live. We planned on putting something else in their spot. I think the berries heard me and I think some feelings were hurt. They knew they were on probabation and they strategized a plan. They spread out in all directions in wondrous glory ... and loaded themselves with lots more berries than ever before... they were looking pretty good so I asked them - you look alright, but I wonder how you are going to taste this year. So they ripened a small batch for me to try. And I can't begin to tell you how wonderful they taste.... And the blackberries are doing alrigh...

love on a scale from 1 to 10

Every time I have a glass or two of wine, I get these urges to write on my blog - I always am embarrassed about it the next morning, but does that stop me? No. But you must be used to it by now. I am reading "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen and am so envious of the love Jacob has for Marlena. I know it is fiction, but still!!! I mean I love my husband, my kids, my parents, my brother, my sister, my dogs, my fishes, my plants, my car (yes I do - I call it Dhanno) - even some of my coworkers - but the extent of my love has never been tested and quantified - so how do I fare on a scale of 1 to 10? Would I run across the top of a running train for my love? Would I??? Is being in love a true or false? Is it enough to say that you love someone? Or is it a scale from 1 to 10? Do some people love more intensely than other? Would I run on top of a running train and risk my life for the people I love? Me - who cannot even hurt a fly - could I kill for love? Would I? Would you? Shoul...